S3 Engine help

domburg

Reaction score
Hi all

Just a quick question, to cut a long story short im looking to replace the complete bottom end on my 99 S3

the engine code is APY, can anyone tell me what other engine codes (block pistons crank etc) will be compatible with my APY Head ?

thanks in advance
Dom

Whats up with it buddy? Iv just replaced mine now due to it bending a rod. It was an AMK but now its going to be running an APX. I think the APX AMK BAM and APY are similar bottom ends as everything has bolted straight across bar one has vvt and one hasn't and one has secondary air and the other hasn't, simple fix though and you wouldn't need to worry about those as your only replacing bottom end. If your after bits to repair what you've got pm me :)

Thanks for the reply welshy, basically iv had a load of work done to it, brand new head on top end re-build after my old head cracked, i had oil pressure warning when i picked it up from the garage so i left it there for them to sort out after a lenghty and expensive 'trial and error' process they couldnt find anything wrong with it after replacing the oil pump and sensors etc so they said it was a faulty biniccle throwing up the signal so on my way to an auto electrician the bottom end starts knockin, i turned it of and my mate towed me back to his work shop (not the same garage that did the work) and offered to strip the engine down for me he found that the pick up pipe was completley blocked (even though the garaged said they cleaned it !) and that had starved it of oil so its basically span a bearing and scored the crank, i cant really be ***** with stripping it all and getting re-ground etc so i just want a block with pistons and crank etc that i can bolt my head to and put back in, i have sourced an engine hat i could use but its out of a passat its an apu engine even tho in the passat they are transversally mounted do you know if the block will go in my s3?

thanks again, dom

If you need it I have my APY bottom end available as my cylinder head cracked and a combination of bent valves and valve stems meant it was easier to buy a complete APX unit and have that fitted.

Good luck with your repairs, I am hoping to finally drive mine in a few weeks after a rather lengthy round of repairs.

Thanks Ci-ryder

How much are you after for your bottom end? i feel for you buddy im no stranger to lengthy repairs mine has been on going for over a year now...it will be worth it in the end tho, good luck with your re-build

thanks, dom

Any bottom end from a transverse 1.8T will do.

I run an AGU engine complete in my S3 running fairly hefty power.

Avoid the AUM and other 19mm wrist pinned engines.

Dom, I have no idea on price for these things so as long as the garage haven't gotten rid of it say £80?

Yep owning an S3 has been a very expensive thing for me, only had it a few months and after the first 3 weeks the engine went pop and it has been a constant round of repairs/upgrades ever since, I can't afford to change cars again so I am really hoping that once it is done I will love it but I keep getting annoying news latest being my 18" alloy's won't fit and off course I just had them refurb'd and bought tyres. Ah well could be worse I guess.

I hope that you get yours back on the road soon also, a year is a painfully long wait so the car now owes you many years of good service.

Thanks ci-ryder a friend has found me a engine out of a passat which he is checking out at the weekend, if that isnt any good ill let you know asap, were abouts are you based? im sure you will enjoy the s3 again, mine has been off the road for over year and is in bits with no engine at the moment but i still love it its been pretty reliable over the last 3-4 years iv had it apart from this which has just been one problem raelly that the garage failed to correct causing more problems so im sure once built it will be reliable again!

Thanks for the info welly, the engine code is apu code, do you know if this is one to avoid or will it be compatible?

cheers, dom

Will a passat enigne fit? Seem to think they a longitudinal engines. Maybe wrong. I would almost certainly go with an AGU bottom end. By far the best and more readily available. Rebuild it with new bearings and big ends and piston rings and it'll last you another 100k! I'd almost be tempted to sell the apy head and get a complete engine as then you'll have a large port head as well.

Will a passat enigne fit? Seem to think they a longitudinal engines. Maybe wrong. I would almost certainly go with an AGU bottom end. By far the best and more readily available. Rebuild it with new bearings and big ends and piston rings and it'll last you another 100k! I'd almost be tempted to sell the apy head and get a complete engine as then you'll have a large port head as well.

Logitudal engines don't fit... earlier blocks are totally different (058) with an external water pump, later (2001 on IIRC) are based on the 06A transverse blocks (called 06B) but pretty sure the engine mounts are all different... (I'm not a logitudal expert)

SEAT Ibiza bottom ends are 20mm pins IIRC and so are some of the Skoda ones...

Try this for more info...
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/74563-1-8t-info-sheet.html

APU is a longitudal engine IIRC...

<tuffty/>

Thanks ci-ryder a friend has found me a engine out of a passat which he is checking out at the weekend, if that isnt any good ill let you know asap, were abouts are you based? im sure you will enjoy the s3 again, mine has been off the road for over year and is in bits with no engine at the moment but i still love it its been pretty reliable over the last 3-4 years iv had it apart from this which has just been one problem raelly that the garage failed to correct causing more problems so im sure once built it will be reliable again!

cheers, dom

No worries, I am in Harrow (not too far from Wembley) looking at your location a courier would be the best bet if wanted - anyway I have checked and they do have it tucked in a corner so yours if you need. Hope the rebuild goes well.

Cheers

thanks guys for the info, cy-rider ill be in touch regarding the bottom end after the weekend

cheers
dom