afn looking to do a turbo upgrade help and info please

pirate

Reaction score
not after a ££££ insane turbo just some more umph

can sum one talk me through the differant turbos available gains rough prices etc
and when the injectors or pump need changing for a turbo

many thanks dan

Stock turbo(gt1749V) is good for max 150 Bhp but the EGT increase sharpish. The PD 130/140 Bhp (GT1749VA) is good for 170-180 Bhp with fueling/supporting mods. The next step is the BV43 as fitted to the 2.0 Pd Tdi 170Bhp wich is maxed out at 200-210 Bhp. Every single one will need chip tuning and extra fuel as without it's gonna be smokey. Transporter T5 0.216 nozzles will give a 20 Bhp increase on their own with better fuel economy but it will be smokey at WOT(full throttle). I have a b5 tdi wich started life as a 90 Bhp AHH engine, now running about double that ! The AHH has a 11mm pump, i fitted Bosio Race 502 nozzles(0.260), bv43 turbo and i have ported the head. Other supporting mods were rods and pistons with lowered CR, allard EGR delete, PD 130 inlet manifold and large intercooler. I also have a GTB2260Vk turbo modded to fit but it will need ditching the stock airbox and i am not preppared to do just that. The engine will go into my b5 2.5 tdi quattro wich has a 01E 6 speed gearbox and i can fit a 240mm clutch and single mass flywheel as the FWD cannot put the power down cleanly ! I have a nice reconditioned turbo for sale in the classifieds, its a GT1749 Va hybrid with the correct adapter to run on VE 90/110Bhp (AHU/AHH/AFN or AVG) engines...Check-it out if interested, the adapter on it's own is 140 quid at the dealers...

gtb2260vkvsbv432.jpg

gtb2260vkvsbv43.jpg

bv43vsgtb2260vk3.jpg

DSCF3713.jpg

bv43vsgtb2260vk.jpg

This is the stock turbo as fitted to your car:

150311-1134.jpg

150311-1132.jpg

Porting the head:

280311-1346002.jpg

280311-1428.jpg

head2.jpg

head1.jpg

Here's a little teaser, please excuse the poor quality, click on the picture:

Last edited:
whats the bill on that turbo and adapter pal

so your saying i can get 150 on my standard turbo ??/ how is this achievable

The turbo wont last too long at 140-150 and you'll need chip- tuning and injector nozzles at a minimum ! £300 for the turbo, cost me £485 inclusive...

Stock turbo(gt1749V) is good for max 150 Bhp but the EGT increase sharpish. The PD 130/140 Bhp (GT1749VA) is good for 170-180 Bhp with fueling/supporting mods. The next step is the BV43 as fitted to the 2.0 Pd Tdi 170Bhp wich is maxed out at 200-210 Bhp. Every single one will need chip tuning and extra fuel as without it's gonna be smokey. Transporter T5 0.216 nozzles will give a 20 Bhp increase on their own with better fuel economy but it will be smokey at WOT(full throttle). I have a b5 tdi wich started life as a 90 Bhp AHH engine, now running about double that ! The AHH has a 11mm pump, i fitted Bosio Race 502 nozzles(0.260), bv43 turbo and i have ported the head. Other supporting mods were rods and pistons with lowered CR, allard EGR delete, PD 130 inlet manifold and large intercooler. I also have a GTB2260Vk turbo modded to fit but it will need ditching the stock airbox and i am not preppared to do just that. The engine will go into my b5 2.5 tdi quattro wich has a 01E 6 speed gearbox and i can fit a 240mm clutch and single mass flywheel as the FWD cannot put the power down cleanly ! I have a nice reconditioned turbo for sale in the classifieds, its a GT1749 Va hybrid with the correct adapter to run on VE 90/110Bhp (AHU/AHH/AFN or AVG) engines...Check-it out if interested, the adapter on it's own is 140 quid at the dealers...
Adam - appreciate this is a really old reply to your post put what kind of adaptor exactly do you need to bolt a GT1749VA onto an AFN manifold in your experience please? I was under the impression it was a straight bolt on job? Keen to do something similar to a tidy B5 tdi work car i have just acquired. Many thanks.

Chris Adams who penned the above hasn't been on here in over 2 years. @bhodgkiss has loads of experience with this engine . You will need a new clutch pretty much as the extra torque will probably kill it and not many people map these .
https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=381189&page=2
Thanks for the quick response. Do you know of anybody out there who does map these? I am aware that they are not OBD2 flash-able so it will require a physical upgrade of the chips. Looks like the AFN has a well trodden path to performance improvement, so I am keen to ask a few questions before I start hovering up the right parts to do something similar. Many thanks.

Hi Andrew

Yes the GT1749VA bolts straight on, but go for the BV43 from the BRD/BVA 2.0tdi 170bhp engine. That bolts on too.

That’s what I’ve had fitted for 8 years and 70,000 miles now! Running around 200bhp @1.75bar boost, with various other mods (clutch, injectors, FMIC etc). It really pulls well.

I do my own remapping and have remapped for lots of other people with the AFN engine. I solder in sockets myself and use removable, reflashable chips.

I’m based in Brackley

Is it a standard engine currently? What mileage? Running ok?

Whats your power goal please?
Or perhaps a better question, what’s your budget?
If you don’t want to upgrade the clutch you’re looking at around 150bhp max. I have the Sachs Race Engineering clutch, good for 500Nm but it’s around £650, then needs fitting. There are cheaper options available for around half that price that work well.

Anything over 140bhp and you’ll want bigger injectors and turbo. For injectors I’d recommend Bosio PP764/R520 or HFLO-X 0.240-0.260 size

So basically it’s down to you.
The bottom end and gbox are pretty bombproof to 200bhp/450Nm

Id personally suggest clutch upgrade, BV43, R520 injectors, PD130 intake manifold, FMIC, 3bar MAP sensor and remap for a nice 180bhp+. That’s £1000-1500 ish depending on clutch spec and who fits.

Obviously it’s worth considering that you buy a PD130 and simply remap and get close to that. But where’s the fun in that?

Also you buy a 3.0tdi B8 A4 Quattro and get a remap for 300bhp and realise how much better it is (thats my other car). It’s very impressive.

But the AFN is a very simple, easy to work on engine. I’ve had mine 14 years and done 150k in it myself, 6 trips to Nurburgring etc, it’s now at 235k miles total and still running very well.

Thanks
Ben

Last edited:
Reactions: desertstorm
Thanks Ben, thats very helpful and great to hear that you're pretty much just down the road.

The car is a completely standard 1999 2WD avant with 160k on the clock, runs well and is genuinely one owner from new! I recently picked it up as a project (MOT) car to replace Mk4 Golf (SDI) work car, being attracted by the price, spec (sunroof) and reputation of the AFN. We currently also run a final edition A6 C5 Avant (130pd) so already know an like the dependability of big old Audis.

In terms of game plan, i think i would like to approach it in stages, starting first with a subtle remap using the current hardware and then move to the next stage one i have collected the recommended parts and uprated the clutch. If i could find a decent second hand engine and box i would also consider building that up alongside in my garage but maybe that is overkill? Haven't seen many on the secondhand market either tbh. In terms of spec for phase two i think something similar to yours would be ideal in terms of nice useable improvement without sacrificing longevity or reliability. I would be interested to hear your advice on where best to source these parts at the best price?

In terms of the phase one ECU upgrade, if you could let me know how much you charge and if i should send/bring the original or is it best to buy a secondary one this would be appreciated.

Re the 130pd, do you also do conventional re-mapping?

Thanks again Ben, i am sure we will talk soon.

Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk