Insurance for mods

MartayMcFly

Booooooost
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Just got my quote back for putting on modifications (lowered <5cm, non-standard exhaust, non-standard wheels, other suspension changes, power increase 11-25%) and I'm pretty happy with the £27 they're asking for. However, reading through the additional term and conditions, they say they only pay out market value of the car and won't pay for modifications unless they form part of the manufacturer's standard specification.

Is this standard practice across the board, or do some companies actually insure the modifications too? If no-one pays, why the increase in premium? Also, if I'm hit by someone else, does their insurance pay for my modified parts?

Sorry mate, i was going to say try Brentacre because if you have a modified car then you both agree a valuation of the car and if something happens they will pay the value of the car which has been agreed previously.

They don't charged for visual mods IE nothing that doesn't improve BHP.

As far as I'm aware, that is standard practice fella. What you can do is set an agreed value for the car, which you can then include the mods on. Varies from one company to another :)

When i was with Adrian Flux i declared all mods on my Focus whether it be Aesthetic or Mechanical and made sure I had a receipt for it... in the event of a minor accident they would replace part for part.
In my case it was a right off so they looked at the receipt price and deducted wear and tear.