00515 camshaft position hall sensor g40 1997 1.6 a3 HELP PLEASE !!

seanseansean

Reaction score
Problems with car 1997 a3 1.6 sport

- Only reving to 5000rpm when in a gear, in neutral it will rev to approx 6500rpm
- When pulling away from lights etc loss of power, trys to stall, (only happens when car is upto temp) ok when cold
- Revs take a bit longer than normal to come down to idle
- strong smell of unburnt fuel
- loss of power
- Temp guage moves between 60 - 90 ( I have replaced senor with no joy)

Only codes showing up is

00515 camshaft position hall sensor g40 - no signal

Please can some1 help me out with this, ie - where is the camshaft sensor located and can I take it out to clean etc.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards

update people,

Ran the car for a while, temp went upto 90 deg and stayed there.

Pluged the scanner in and still got the same fault

Every so ofter the lambda sensor code woud come up saying - low end
I understand this is to do with the misture running rich ? am i right ?

Regards

On those crossflow 1.6 8v engine the coil pack and or the leads go wrong most times, also check that the two middle(2 & 3) plugs have been replaced as those two are a really pain to get to and sometimes don't get replaced.

I replaced the plugs and leads about 4 months ago, so that should rule them out any other ideas ?

Does yours have a single coil pack? as some early ones had a distributor. Check for a misfire by removing one lead then starting the engine and see if its the same or worse, then refit that lead and move on to the next one.

its a single coil pack, ive done that already. and nothin changes really, its running fine no misfires etc. just the above what i mentioned.
Like i said its saying - camshaft sensor - no signal.

Hi,

mine is doing the same thing, did this get resolved before i change hall sensor?

hi guys new to Audi's i have bought a a3 8l 1.6 as my first car .. i have the same identical symptoms on my car that are stated above and was with my mechanic tonight plugged it in and got the very same results as above ,my car has also had new coil pack and leads full service ,it will be getting a new lamba and cat this month also... what i really would love to know is did the crank sensor fix this problem ? if not has anyone on here had the problem and solved it , i haven't got much of a budget and cant exactly afford trial and error on parts , any help much appropriated