which oil to put in s3

dan_s3

Reaction score
hi as title says which oil is the correct one to put in the s3???cheers dan

Hi dan i,m using castrol magnatec 5w-30 for my s3...

Ll3 5w30 507.00 vw spec, pop along to ur local tps (trade parts specialsts) and get some quantum long life 3

i am using shell helix ultra extra 5w30 in my 2.0T A3
do a little research and put a decent oil in if you think anything of your car:thumbsup:

Fuchs Titan GT1 Longlife III Synthetic Oil is made in Germany and is officially approved by VW for the following specifications::

VW 504.00

VW 507.00

Fuchs Titan GT1 Longlife III Synthetic Oil is made in Germany and is officially approved by VW for the following specifications::

VW 504.00

VW 507.00

Just ordered a couple of litres of this stuff.

Little point in paying extra for long life oil when you are best to change as often as you can imho. If you plan to keep the car i would flush it and put a fully synthetic mobil 1 in. Change every 6 months 5k miles. Its simply the very best oil you can buy IMHO

Did my latest service at Volkspower in Melbourne (Australia). They are a highly regarded VW/Audi Service/Mod shop. They put Fuchs GT1 Fully Synthetic. The thing smells frikkin delicious :) My next service will be in 7.5-10K (in kms).

As I was topping up my oil last night (for the first time) I noticed that the Oil Cap has 'Castrol' written on it, wonder if thats audi hinting which oil to use lol :think:

I have posted this before but i will once again..

Older members here will remember all the trouble i had with my 3.2...To cut a long story short one thing that came up was the huge amount of burnt on varnish up the top end/cams etc. Head Audi tech told me "its this ****** long life Castrol" !! we are contracted to use it. We never had problems like this with Mobil , our last supplier... I notice now with my New S3 it has 2 service dates when you pull the trip reset. one for annual oil change and one for long life service ( less oil change)..

Oil doesn't really lose viscosity/degrade because of the time its in the engine. What it does do is get dirty and of course it then pumps that dirt round the bearings and pistons etc. However good your filter is carbon particles will get through and they wear your engine. Just look at the state of long life oil when its dropped out of the sump !!!!!! it get contaminated just the same as a short life oil but runs round your engine for twice as long. :)
Long life oil is fine if you are going to change cars every 3 years. You may not even change it and that is what its all about. Keeping costs down for fleet managers and making audi attractive to business users. what happens to it after the warranty runs out is not really their problem....Buy a good quality oil and change it minimum once a year. 6000k miles if you possibly can.

I have posted this before but i will once again..

Older members here will remember all the trouble i had with my 3.2...To cut a long story short one thing that came up was the huge amount of burnt on varnish up the top end/cams etc. Head Audi tech told me "its this ****** long life Castrol" !! we are contracted to use it. We never had problems like this with Mobil , our last supplier... I notice now with my New S3 it has 2 service dates when you pull the trip reset. one for annual oil change and one for long life service ( less oil change)..

Oil doesn't really lose viscosity/degrade because of the time its in the engine. What it does do is get dirty and of course it then pumps that dirt round the bearings and pistons etc. However good your filter is carbon particles will get through and they wear your engine. Just look at the state of long life oil when its dropped out of the sump !!!!!! it get contaminated just the same as a short life oil but runs round your engine for twice as long. :)
Long life oil is fine if you are going to change cars every 3 years. You may not even change it and that is what its all about. Keeping costs down for fleet managers and making audi attractive to business users. what happens to it after the warranty runs out is not really their problem....Buy a good quality oil and change it minimum once a year. 6000k miles if you possibly can.

Hi Paddy,

Some serious story told here hey? :)

Audi charge a small fortune to change oil with prices varying between 150 to 300 Pounds a shot so where would you recommend getting the oil changed so frequently with stamps etc? I must admit, I only changed my oil after approximately 11000 miles and almost 18 months of ownership since I was going purely by the Variable Service Indicator. Since the start of my S3's life (Sept 2009) the only thing it has done is an oil change but then again its only done 13.5K of miles in over 28 months.

Curious how you're getting 2 service dates when using the trip reset.... I best check the service interval book to see when mine's due and that I haven't missed one!

Cheers, KKP