S4: Braking shudder!!

V8Guzzler

Reaction score
I was giving the S4 some beans (against an M3) and we got to 3 figures... I have to break obviously as we were approaching a roundabout... I noticed a a fairly bad shuddering when breaking, but this was only present at high speed. Once I was down to around 70 - 80 the shuddering stopped... Would this be warped discs? The pads have only about 30% worn...

Ideas??? Im guessing discs.. Does the front take more breaking power than the rears?

Thanks all :)

Sounds like discs are warped, do you notice the judder through the pedal or the steering wheel? , Whats the condition of the discs like all round? The proper way to check is to put a dti gauge on the discs and turn the disc to check for disc run out, this will show which discs are causing the problem.Yes the fronts brakes will get more of a pounding than the rears. S4 brakes won't be cheap i would imagine

Hi mate, through the steering wheel, but at lower / normal speeds there is nothing! Feels completely normal... I have found a complete set of drilled and vented discs all round with pads for £280! I will probably wait till the pads need replacing and get the whole lot done. It's not very often I get up to 140! Shhhhhhhh lol

Possibly slightly warped if only at high speeds, I did a newish audi a6 3.0 tdi not that long ago with similar problems and disc and pads cured it. £280 great price. Great selction of cars you have had, i would prob pick ur s4 if i had a choice :thumbsup:

Could also be lower arms. Does it pull at all when braking?

No straight as a die... Must be the discs I reckon like I say under normal driving conditions there is nothing at all. ;)

No straight as a die... Must be the discs I reckon like I say under normal driving conditions there is nothing at all. ;)

Nah - I think it's arms like someone said earlier.

For instance - it doesn't really matter how fast you're going it's the force applied to the disk - if they're warped the shudder will be roughly the same as at 50 / 60 / 70.

That said disks are cheaper and easier to replace than arms (just done all the arms on mine) so you may want to try that first.

What you could do tho is jack the car up - remove a wheel and use a pry bar against the arms to check for play.

Whilst you've got the wheel off - you could but the bolts back in the hub to hold the disk in - fix an object approx 1 / 2 mills away from the disk face (g clamp and random bit of metal?? - anything that you can fix so it's held stationary) then spin the hub, if you can see some run out (looks like wobble) then the disks are warped / wheel bearings had it (although prob much less likely).

Thanks all. Tested again today (130) hardly any shudder at all. Don't understand it. Will overall when pads need replacing next. Thanks For all the advise.

the shudder is back - opened her up to 140... applied brakes fairly firmly - and the car almost vibrated itself off the road.. ok maybe not that bad but it was making the entire car shake quite badly. I continued to drive and noticed the shudder was bad even at lower speeds - i thought i had broken the car... but i continued - the shudder eventually subsided and again hardly noticeable when braking below 70. so discs warped? or something else like bearings? arms? suspension? she is straight as a die, no wheel wobble at speed, no pulling left or right under braking or accelerating... i am taking her in as I do a lot of miles (2500 in Jan) but wanted to get some opinions so i don't get fobbed off by the garage.. ta muchly
Rich

Another question - I have noticed that there are 2 types of front disc available - 321mm diameter and 345mm diameter.. Can anyone explain why this is? And how you chose the correct ones please? Thanks

321 is the B5 S4 setup.

You should have the 345mm on yours.

s4 at that speed is a lot of weight to try and stop, id say its the discs warping under the heat, sounds like the compound of the pad is very hard, new discs n pads will cure it m8 im sure

can you post a link for the brake pads discs ?
just wana nosey what kind they are

can you post a link for the brake pads discs ?
just wana nosey what kind they are

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace have ordered today, lower suspension arms, discs, pads, and 2 new tryes... hope that cures it... :keule:

I bought them last time, i would seriously advise you to return them and upgrade to lemforder bud.

Eurocarparts sell the lemforder arms, but they'll last alot longer.

In she goes tomorrow, new drilled and grooved front discs, pads and new lower suspension arms. Am hoping that this will cure it.

On another note... Maybe should start new thread but lets see how it goes.. Anyone notice like a loose bearing kind of noise from the engine on tick over? I don't know if this is normal or if something is working loose. It's like a hollow / whirring noise not bad but like a bearing is wearing out. No problems with anything drives ok, idle is ok, pickup is ok.. Like I say maybe nothing

the usual timing chain noise m8 maybe worse when colder, just keep up on the oil change and use the correct grades....

I thought it maybe, but shes not long had a service, and had a new chain and tensioners 15k miles ago, so I was unsure, but I think you are right :)

may be just a noisy bearing maybe alternator, pulleys, worn belt, aircon pump etc etc id get it checked m8

Arrrrr, new brakes :) sorted!!

Tyres needed next, and that whole debate on whether to buy budget or premium...

Also need a catback of some sort...

you have an S4 ?
there should be NO debate on budgets big NO
infact any car should NOT run budgets

With speeds like that mate I wouldn't risk your life with budgets. Premiums for sure !! :icon_thumright:
My tdi 130 slides on simple corners with budget pz90's on, imagine what your S4 power would do :S

On another note... Maybe should start new thread but lets see how it goes.. Anyone notice like a loose bearing kind of noise from the engine on tick over? I don't know if this is normal or if something is working loose. It's like a hollow / whirring noise not bad but like a bearing is wearing out. No problems with anything drives ok, idle is ok, pickup is ok.. Like I say maybe nothing

If it sounds like a supercharger then its just the timing chains that drive the engine accessories. I would check your power steering fluid just to be on the safe side tho

Thanks guys, think I have settled for Avon shoes... Reviews are excellent, and I need something that isn't going to break the bank as I can get through a set in less than a year easily with the miles I do.

In terms of the noise, supercharger is spot on.. Will check PAS fluid as you suggest though just to make sure..

Did you get to the bottom of what was actually causing the judder ??? or with you replacing everything at once are you unsure.... i have the same problem... fine at lower speeds but quite bad at higher

Yeah replaced discs and lower control arms - sorted. But has now developed a banging/ knocking noise which no one can identify!

Have you ever replaced the discs?

Not on this A4 but it looks no different to any other car ... i ordered some last night for the front as it had an advisory last year for corroded disc's but thats because my dad only drove it once a week .... last MOT a couple of months ago it got an advisory for an upper balljoint i think on both sides but nothing for the discs this time presumably because i'm putting 80 miles a day on it .... i have however just fitted some spacers so i think this may make the balljoints feel worse