Thermostat help

macpdm

Reaction score
Afternoon all

I need to fit a new thermostat to my 1.8T Sport but I dont have the tools and if im honest im trying to get a mates rate rather than pay a garage.

Anybody localish who can help me out ?

Im sure I dont remember reading that anybody else did that ?

R they only suggesting to disconnect the battery if u go down the route of removing the alternator to do the thermostat. I didn't bother when I did mine, I just disconnected the hose by the thermostat housing and raised it to reduce the loss of coolant, worked round the alternator to whip the housing off, replaced the stat, housing back on, reconnect hose and topped up coolant and was done

Just need a 10mm socket and ratchet and a swivel bit and some extensions, and hoseclip pliers really. A 5mm allen key can be useful for getting the bolts back in.

I have done mine twice. Second time I undid the alternator bolts and dropped it down, made it much easier.

Is this guide for an A4? Got mine booked in to garage for changing £85, but wouldn't mind having a go my self.

much easier job than it looks mate, 3/8" wobbler extension just gets on the trickier bolt, bish bash bosh.... no need for removing anything from the alternator. if a garage claims anything more than half hour then he is either taking you for a ride or he shouldnt be allowed on the spanners (IMO)

unfortunately im from cheshire but dont live there anymore - otherwise i would've done it for you.

much easier job than it looks mate, 3/8" wobbler extension just gets on the trickier bolt, bish bash bosh.... no need for removing anything from the alternator. if a garage claims anything more than half hour then he is either taking you for a ride or he shouldnt be allowed on the spanners (IMO)

unfortunately im from cheshire but dont live there anymore - otherwise i would've done it for you.

Ok thanks , I've just changed the temp sender (cut and bruised my hands in the process) Might buy the part and have a look at the job in hand over the wend, see if I'm upto it. Did you drain the coolant off?

yes, i flushed my system last time i did it anyway, there is a tap at the bottom of the radiator where the bottom hose meets it, you can either open that (some people dont like to incase the seal gets some crap in and doesnt seal again) or just crack off the bottom hose.

yes, i flushed my system last time i did it anyway, there is a tap at the bottom of the radiator where the bottom hose meets it, you can either open that (some people dont like to incase the seal gets some crap in and doesnt seal again) or just crack off the bottom hose.[/QUOTEI

Is it possible to re-use the coolant, I had a cambelt an water pump fitted not so long ago so I take it my coolant should be quite clean?

Thanks again.

its possible to re use coolant yes - if its clean and recently changed then there is no reason why not.

I generally never re-use fluids when i do work, but maybe thats because i used to work in motorsport and im used to being anal about these things. (On the flip side at bentley you attach a pipe straight to the tap on the rad, fill a tub then re-use it).

You would assume it was changed when they did the water pump change, but if anti-freeze wasn't itemised in your bill then theres a chance it wasnt. (as a3tdi just said)

Maybe your coolant was re-used then?:)

Yeah your probaly right. What guide did you people use to change the T'stat? I've looked at one that looked straight forward, but then realised it was for an Audi TT. The A4 B6 one I've seen looks very complicated.

cant help you there - didnt use one...

do you have a haynes? they usually cover these things quite well...

Afternoon all

I need to fit a new thermostat to my 1.8T Sport but I dont have the tools and if im honest im trying to get a mates rate rather than pay a garage.

Anybody localish who can help me out ?

Where are you mister?