Retread tyres??

Dont be daft !! the winter is just when you want GOOD tyres. dont even think about it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steer well clear of them a mate of mine had one blow out on him at 70mph the tread litterly came off the tyre again steer well clear

don't be tight,your tyres are as important as your brakes,why would you want to put yours and your passengers life's in danger and become a hazard to others....
the only contact between the car and the road is the tyre, don't compromise buddy,always get the best you can afford

Guess it's a big no no then. Ha.
Any one recommend a good budget winter tyre?
Or do good and budget not go in the same sentence??

ive got budget tyres on mine never had a problem with them i cant justify spending hundreds of pounds on tyres when the ones on now are good enough i dont go hammering round corners anymore so dont need mega grip and the durability is awesome on them too done well over 10,000 miles this year and tryes are still got plenty of meat on them

First point of contact between your car and the ground is the tyres. Crap tyres will result in crap performance! Get the best to not only get the best performance but most importantly, they may jsut save your life!!!!

ive got budget tyres on mine never had a problem with them i cant justify spending hundreds of pounds on tyres when the ones on now are good enough i dont go hammering round corners anymore so dont need mega grip and the durability is awesome on them too done well over 10,000 miles this year and tryes are still got plenty of meat on them

its not all about grip,i once bought a car with fullruns on (nice and cheap ),i took them off immediately as i never use budget tyres,when they came off i had a big shock,these were about 500 miles old and the seams on the inner of the tyre had split already,all i think is thank god i got em off,would not have took much to have a blowout,just think...cruising down the M1 at 70 and BANG!!!! next thing you are under a truck being crushed all because you scrimped and bought cheap crap...not for me

225/45/17 mate.
Anyone heard of minerva tyres??

Yes, they'd be substandard on a milk float!

If you put a **** tyre on your car you can extend your braking by over 10m in the wet in like for like speed. If you crash the insurance excess may be more than the difference in price between **** and good tyres.

If you must economise, buy part worns from Montys Wheels and Tyres all of which are premium brands.

Last edited:
its not all about grip,i once bought a car with fullruns on (nice and cheap ),i took them off immediately as i never use budget tyres,when they came off i had a big shock,these were about 500 miles old and the seams on the inner of the tyre had split already,all i think is thank god i got em off,would not have took much to have a blowout,just think...cruising down the M1 at 70 and BANG!!!! next thing you are under a truck being crushed all because you scrimped and bought cheap crap...not for me
i must be dicing with death then ive never had a problem in 10 years with budget tyres lol

lol im getting some decent tyres with my new wheels tho gunna get some falkens

falkens are fantastic tyres,as i said in another thread,i used them on a 443 bhp rear wheel drive car with no T/C ,performed as good as the high priced brands like Michelin or conti etc

I think Falkens are pretty good tyres, for the money theyre up there with the best. Probably the best budget tyre on the market.

Had a set on my old car. A complete set lasted less than 9,000 miles. Dry weather grip was average; wet weather grip was an experience I'd rather not go through again. They weren't fitted to a high performance car either; just a MK4 Golf running 175bhp........

sounds like they were fitted in the wrong direction,i ran these on a lot of high HP cars such as skylines and 200sx etc and did track and drag days,they performed exceptionally in all conditions,yes they are a soft compound and i usually go through tyres in about 3k miles but thats down to my driving habits and doing track days,you are the only person i have heard say negative things about falkens,even a fewe 500 hp guys running them on their skylines over on soc,seen a few masarati's and TVR's with them on too

Brakes and Tyres go hand in hand. It's like asking whether it's ok to use refurbished brake pads off a bicycle!

Never compromise. Falkens are a great tyre. Best of the rest. But I don't agree they perform the same as I premium. Any who were going off subject.

Retread = massive no.

Falkens = yes

sounds like they were fitted in the wrong direction,i ran these on a lot of high HP cars such as skylines and 200sx etc and did track and drag days,they performed exceptionally in all conditions,yes they are a soft compound and i usually go through tyres in about 3k miles but thats down to my driving habits and doing track days,you are the only person i have heard say negative things about falkens,even a fewe 500 hp guys running them on their skylines over on soc,seen a few masarati's and TVR's with them on too

I'm fussy when it comes to my cars and staying on the road so I can assure you they were most definitely fitted the correct way! I'm not the only one who finds the Falkens 'lacking' when it comes to working properly but we all have different driving styles.

Although it pains me to say it even Falkens are better than re-treads. Re-treads should be banned as they've been proven in test after test to be the worst type of tyre you can fit to your car.

You only have four contact patches with the road between you and your car, don't skimp!!! You pay hundreds for nice shiny wheels and then stick crap tyres on them. I've never worked that out........:think:

I had Falkens on my Focus ST running 290bhp and they where useless. Lasted less than 8k.

Budget tyres are fine if you can't afford premium. There's a massive difference between considering budget tyres and considering retreads. I wouldn't be driving as hard on a budget tyre as on premiums, and they might not last as long, but they're not dangerous.

Ideal world, get an expensive set. Real world, get the best you can afford, but don't risk retreads.

this is what happens when tyres go bad

d23cb650.jpg

dccdb743.jpg

i was doing over 70mph :ninja: and the rear tyre blew out. luckily nothing happened to me or the car

Just got myself a set of Falkens and in the Dry they have been fantastic so far for me TDI 302lb/ft no real wheel spin. To be honest I haven't noticed any difference between these and my previous continental sport contact 3

Nothing wrong with Falkens, ran them on my evo with no problems whatsoever. To the OP, if your on a budget for winter tyres a mate of mine managed to get a set of maragoni winter tyres from kwik fit for £104 per corner fitted for 18's. Worth a look.