s3/tt steering rack on a3 quattro???????

rossjohn

Reaction score
my 2002 a3 quattro needs new steering rack

i read up on internet about fitting a tt/s3 rack but havnt got a definate answer about what will work

so question is what will fit??????

thanks

I've got an old rack you can have, it'll need a refurb (new seals) but it'll be cheaper than buying brand new.... pm me if you want it, I have no use for it

Could you not fit an LCR one as it has less turns between lock to lock? Im sure someone mentioned that on here not long ago...

Could you not fit an LCR one as it has less turns between lock to lock? Im sure someone mentioned that on here not long ago...

it has less turns for a reason, light car = less effort required to turn the wheel....

it has less turns for a reason, light car = less effort required to turn the wheel....
What a load of rubbish!

TT 's have less turn, lock to lock to give more responsive handling. Has nothing to do with how light the car is! They all have pas so weight isn't a factor.

If that was the case the 2wd convertible TT would have even less turn than the quattro coupe!

Last edited:
What a load of rubbish!

TT 's have less turn, lock to lock to give more responsive handling. Has nothing to do with how light the car is! They all have pas so weight isn't a factor.

If that was the case the 2wd convertible TT would have even less turn than the quattro coupe!

not rubbish, larger heavier cars and cars with wider front tyres have a more powerful steering pump / different gearing ratios to compensate - the less turns a wheel makes, the more pressure it put on the pas system

not rubbish, larger heavier cars and cars with wider front tyres have a more powerful steering pump / different gearing ratios to compensate - the less turns a wheel makes, the more pressure it put on the pas system

^what he says

Yes. However a Leon Cupra R has a 2.9 turn rack, whereas the standard Cupras, and the poverty spec Leon have a rack with more turns (typically 3.5). IE even though the R is heavier than a 1.2, and has bigger wider tyres, it has LESS turns. The complete opposite of what you've stated.

So clearly, the switch to 2.9 from 3.5 in this instance is nothing whatsoever to do with the weight of the vehicle, and has everything to do with improving feel.

LESS TURNS A WHEEL MAKES THE MORE PRESSURE IT PUTS ON THE PAS

please explain then why the TT has the same PAS pump as the A3, s3, seats and Golf Mk4 yet does less turns 2.5 compared to 3.3 yet is heavier and has wider wheels? if your statement where true the TT would be worse off.. What you say may be true on a 10 ton truck but we are talking about cars that weigh less than 100 kg different and most of that weight is over the rear axle in the Quattro system!

It was done as a performance upgrade to the steering handling. 2.5 turns gives better response and feedback that 3.3!

Reactions: VAG-Slag
Without wanting to get drawn into an argument here, On cars generally less turns lock to lock is to improve feel and handling on sportier model, not necessarily a lighter model, it may make the steering slightly heavier but should improve feel on the road.

my 2002 a3 quattro needs new steering rack

i read up on internet about fitting a tt/s3 rack but havnt got a definate answer about what will work

so question is what will fit??????

thanks

Has your car got ESP? If it has that needs to be considered too, you'd need to source a rack from an S3/TT that also has ESP, early ones didn't.

umm didnt want to start a debate about things i know nothing about but ok lol

im looking at one on ebay now off a 2002 tt so will ask if it has esp before i buy it lucky i looked back on there before i bought it

Haha this thread is epic.

An Audi TT rack won't fit your car, only works on pre-facelift cars. I can't comment on the LCR or S3 rack though.

I have a TT rack, and it is brilliant. A great mod and really improves the feel of the car, the pump hasn't been changed and the steering is heavier which totally disproves the pump/weight/pressure theory. Also in relation to weight, an LCR weighs more than a FWD 1.8t TT according to Parkers.

I have however boiled my PAS fluid once, but thats possible even on a standard rack driven hard with a wider set of wheels.

I'm not going to say that's not the case for other sizes and makes of cars, (because I don't know - it's perfectly plausible) but as has already been said, in the case of the LCR/TT225/S3 when compared to the standard Leon, and A3, the quicker steering rack is purely a performance enhancing feature, and nothing to do with the vehicle weight or tyre size.

a Leon Cupra R has a 2.9 turn rack, whereas the standard Cupras, and the poverty spec Leon have a rack with more turns (typically 3.5)

isn't it 2.7 on the quick rack Kev? I'm sure I tested mine at 2.7 turns too. 3.5 for standard FWD stuff is correct

please explain then why the TT has the same PAS pump as the A3, s3,

It was done as a performance upgrade to the steering handling. 2.5 turns gives better response and feedback that 3.3!

2 points, you post suggests the S3 has the same rack as the A3, the S3 rack is infact a quick rack like the TT.

Also, as I said above, it's 2.7 turns on the quick rack, 3.5 on the standard rack.

Has your car got ESP? If it has that needs to be considered too, you'd need to source a rack from an S3/TT that also has ESP, early ones didn't.

This makes no difference at all in terms of rack fitment, early non ESP S3's had exactly the same quick rack as all the others. the ESP works on the engine management and ABS systems, it has no input to the steering rack. ESP only uses the steering angle input sensor, which is in the column.

Haha this thread is epic.

An Audi TT rack won't fit your car, only works on pre-facelift cars. I can't comment on the LCR or S3 rack though.

You're just adding to the rubbish though J :p

LCR and S3 rack are identical to the TT rack.

The quick rack will physically fit onto the TQ, and any pre or post facelift A3 for that matter. and it will work too. The only issue is that some people experience issues with the ESP kicking in on long sweeping bends, because the ESP sees a difference in wheel speeds that does not correspond with the steering wheel input, because the gearing in the rack is different.

Whether this can be cured by recalibrating the steering angle sensor or not I'm not sure, but perhaps Kev can help with his wealth of ECU knowledge!

Reactions: VAG-Slag
I have a prefacelift audi a3 8l 1.8t (APP) 2000 with esp.
Idk realy understand the quick and not quick rack thing.
Are all s3 / tt / Lcr. racks quick racks?

wich one would fit my car.
Would it **** with esp? if so can i change something else to make it work again.
Would i need to change anything else then the rack.
Inner /outer tierods?
or any fluid lines?
ARBs.
or something of that nature.
Hope someone knows :)