DIS / Instrument Lights gone wonky..

Jonay

Reaction score
Car was working fine one afternoon.

Got in it the same evening and it wasn't until about 5mins in that I noticed that the time/date display and the mileage clock displays were extremely bright. I then looked down and saw that the climate control display was super bright too (lighting up the whole centre console) but the radio's backlights were extremely dull (as on minimum brightness setting). Speaking of the brightness control switch it's now doesn't work so everything except the radio back light is extremely bright (brighter than normal) and the radio is extremely dull.

I then noticed that the DIS was completely off.

That was about 2-3days ago and it's still the same.

What would cause this? Fuse?

its unlikely to be a fuse. Its hard to say for sure but it sounds like the cluster. A scan with vcds would be handy, where are you located?

Aberdeen

Here's some pics...

photouxd.jpg

By ruxtonj at 2011-11-03

photo2jb.jpg

By ruxtonj at 2011-11-03

Woke up to a flat battery today.

Tried my own battery charger - didn't work.

Had to call out the AA - their diagnosis said "bad cell" and it appears there was a 1.4amp per hour discharge from the battery with the key out the ignition.

We changed the battery - all is fine now as it appears - the light brightness is back to normal - the DIS is back on. And most importantly - there is no discharge from the idle battery.

Sorted?