Engine coolant leak (maybe)

TrickyLad

is loving his new A3
Reaction score
Hi All,

Am sad to report that I have encountered the first ever, potential, fault with my car. I have a '07 A3 1.6 Sportback Special Edition with spot on 41000 mile.

I got into the car on tuesday morning and the engine coolant warning light came on. Given that it was at 7am it wasn't because the engine was overheating, so it could only mean that the engine coolant level was below the minimum. I opend the bonnet and surprise surprise the engine coolant resevoir was nearly empty, and i really mean nearly empty.
As i had to get to work I quickly topped it up to the max level and drove to work.

Its now 2 days later and the resevoir is well below the minimum level indicator.
I have checked under the car to see if it is leaking whilst its parked up but I cant see any indication of it.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be happening here?

Thanks in advance.

TrickyLad, if its not puffing out white smoke (steam) or coughing and spluttering, then it most likely a leak in the hoses or radiator. Probably only leaking when fully up to temperature, so that's when to make a good check. Look for stains around the radiator corners and all of the hose connections. If you can, get it up on a hoist when its hot and remove the lower engine cover to expose the bottom of the radiator and hoses. Good luck mate.