Have I wrecked my turbo!?!

metricspaces

Reaction score
The jubilee clip came loose on my turbo pipe as I was driving (this one here pipe here Forge Motorsport | Alloy Fabrication )

Would this have caused any damage to my turbo?

The pipe seems to have collapsed in on itself at the bend in the pipe - seems strange as I thought these forge pipes were meant to be strong!

i dont think so, there's no reason why it would to be honest

Depends.... if you were under hard acceleration at the time under boost high rpm's then you can over speed the turbo and damage the bearings...

On ball bearing turbos such as Garretts etc this is quite noticeable and I have seen this first hand on an R32 turbo that did the same as you...

On journal bearing turbos such as the K04 then it could have worn the bearing more than normal but it should be ok... you may just have decreased its longevity is all...

Serious overspeeding on smaller turbos can result in the turbo coming apart....

If your car is performing as before then you should be ok... just something to be aware of...

<tuffty/>

The only way I think it's likely to have damaged anything is if something has physically entered the pipe. It's not great for the turbo if a pipe comes loose as the pressure change in the system may put undue pressure on it, but when you refit it ensure you thoroughly clean the pipe and the mounting point with some degreasing agent so that both sides get a decent surface tension grip on each other before they are clamped up together. I'm suprised a Forge hose would give way TBH, but then it depends on how old it is, nothing lasts forever.