Remap Backup, Nefmoto ??

A3 T

Lord Of The Rings
Reaction score
A while ago i asked about how easy it would be to do a diy remap and someone suggested i use nefmoto software as it can be used with a standard vagcom cable.

I decided against doing the remap myself and had it done by the pros, but it would be good to have a backup of the remap file in case something either happens to the ecu or the dealers accidentally overwrite it.

Has anyone on here used nefmoto and know of a step by step guide?

And can i mess anything up just by reading the map file?

Thanks ;)

Absolutely no chance of the map coming off using nefmoto to read the ecu. Tony who created the software has worked tirelessly to ensure problems are ironed out there is a possibility that you can brick the ecu if you fail to disconnect the software after validating the memory lay out. Nefmoto will only work on the me7. Ecu range, very easy to use. If you register with the website and take the time to read through the posts you will learn all you need to know about the software. As with all flashing software there are pitfalls but if you just reading the ecu then you should be ok. Nefmoto only works over obd.

I've done a lot testing on this so happy to help if needed. But of your in any doubt Leave it to the pros

Sorry mark do you mean off as in download the bin file off the ecu or do you mean off as in wiped? I think I maybe miss reading your post, appologies

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies ;)

I already looked on the the website but cant find any step by step guides, just post from people that already know what their doing......lol

I'm not trying to write to the ecu, i just want to read the BIN off it so i can keep it as a backup.

not wiped, just to back up the bin file. Exactly what nefmoto software was designed to do. assuming no encryption

Nefmoto can read the map, but alot of tuners modify the ECU's code to block OBD reads of the map itself. Not even necessarily encryption, theres a few mods to the code that will stop OBD reading.

If thats the case, you'll need to put the ECU into boot mode and use a Galetto or similar to read the map off.

I already looked on the the website but cant find any step by step guides, just post from people that already know what their doing......lol

I'm not trying to write to the ecu, i just want to read the BIN off it so i can keep it as a backup.

One thing I would say is I've had quite extensive chats with Nick at Revo about the process of mapping a car, it's not any easy task, it takes a long time to get all the parameters working in harmony with extensive on the road logging.

I really would recommend:

A) leaving it to experts who know what they're doing
B) surely if you've paid for a map the tuner will give you another copy as they'll have a copy of your ECU# for reference. Maps tend to be encrypted as they are costly to produce so people don't just download and replicate them.

Last edited:
What utter rubbish.

Ofcourse, given your quoting a tuner, you would say that.

OK, sweeping statement there and I'm always happy to concede where I've been ill informed, but why is it utter rubbish?

By all means blow his statement out the water, but it would be useful and informative if you can provide some context so we can all understand your alternative view / experiences.

Personally I'd rather have my car mapped by someone with liability insurances, fault finding ability, the proper equipment and a sign over the door so if it goes wrong or Audi overmap the car with OEM upgrade map I can get some aftercare as they're still in business . Maybe I'm just being old fashioned and sentimental!

Well for starters, hes not mapping his car. He already has it mapped, and wants to make a copy of that map for whatever reason.

While i'm not suggesting its "easy" to map a car, when working with ME7 its not particularly difficult either. Especially once you have the knowledge and experience of doing it a lot. A custom map built from scratch wont cost you much more than £500-600, which is representative of the tuners time doing the work. An off the shelf map from one of the large tuners such as revo, which also costs many hundreds of pounds, represents very little tuners time in the grand scheme, as its more or less a standard flash sold over and over that gets blatted on and mildly tweaked if your lucky. In my view a standard off the shelf stage 1 map shouldnt cost any more than £100, and the majority of that cost is in the tuners time for actually getting the car into their premises and flashing it onto the car. The software effectively costs nothing after you've developed it (and we've already ascertained that can be done for £500), and the end users are being thoroughly ripped off.

I dont mind paying a tuner to TUNE my car, but this ridiculous situation that seems to exist in the euro scene where everythings done to standard "Stages" with the tuners simply selling a one-size-fits-all file for the car at a price which would easily pay for a proper custom job is quite frankly a joke.

Furthermore you suggested the tuner would happily provide the bloke with the binary dump from the ECU, which would NEVER happen from a mainstream tuner, because the tuner sees that file as something he can sell for £500 a pop, theres no way they'd hand out a file that could then be passed on to others, which is also specifically why they try to make it difficult to read it off the ECU. It might happen if you get a decent tuner to build you a custom file for a particularly obscure combination of parts, ie one which they'd expect to have limited appeal to others.

Well for starters, hes not mapping his car. He already has it mapped, and wants to make a copy of that map for whatever reason.

If his car is mapped he shouldn't need a copy of the map; exactly my point. If my car is overmapped by Audi I just go back to my tuner and they re-load it, it's that simple. If you want a reloadable map, buy Superchips.[/QUOTE]

While i'm not suggesting its "easy" to map a car, when working with ME7 its not particularly difficult either. Especially once you have the knowledge and experience of doing it a lot.

Which lets face it from the OP's post he doesn't have the knowledge, but I don't think that's the big issue here.

A custom map built from scratch wont cost you much more than £500-600, which is representative of the tuners time doing the work. An off the shelf map from one of the large tuners such as revo, which also costs many hundreds of pounds, represents very little tuners time in the grand scheme, as its more or less a standard flash sold over and over that gets blatted on and mildly tweaked if your lucky. In my view a standard off the shelf stage 1 map shouldnt cost any more than £100, and the majority of that cost is in the tuners time for actually getting the car into their premises and flashing it onto the car. The software effectively costs nothing after you've developed it (and we've already ascertained that can be done for £500), and the end users are being thoroughly ripped off.

I dont mind paying a tuner to TUNE my car, but this ridiculous situation that seems to exist in the euro scene where everythings done to standard "Stages" with the tuners simply selling a one-size-fits-all file for the car at a price which would easily pay for a proper custom job is quite frankly a joke.

It's a difficult one to position, but on the two occasions my car has been used to develop a stage of a generic remap it's been with the tuner for over a week. That's just one model, for two different stages of the code, and I know for a fact my car was one of a group that were used, so literally hundreds if not thousands of hours go into producing a generic remap from a reputable reseller. When you're paying salaries, pensions, premises, testing time, dynos, petrol, equipment, associated overheads it's not a cheap process at all. Then take all the various cars / models / updates.....

I will galdly concede remaps are expensive, MTM were charging £1000 when I had my S3 mapped there in 2007 (generic code), and they've recently dropped this to £600 showing sign of the times. But I've always conceded that a road car is not a race car, and does not have the specific tolerance as such, so unless you go a very specific modification route then I can buy an off shelf map and follow the manufacturers recommended mod path.

I agree about the prices, but am going to have to beg to differ on the effort investment. I've seen it with my own eyes, and I have no vested interests to lie. Maybe some companies do a very generic job, but not all. Hence why Revo for example are sometimes considered late to market, it's not laziness its a case of trying to meet customer feedback requirements.

Furthermore you suggested the tuner would happily provide the bloke with the binary dump from the ECU

I think there's been a misinterpretation of the 'give you another copy' in my first post. My tuner has always provided me with a replacement upload file if Audi have inadvertantly overloaded it with an update - I think we're insinuiating the same thing but using different terminology. I wasn't suggesting you (a) get a free copy / (b) get handed a copy to do what you like with; I have to drive somewhere and have it uploaded, but if your tuner is reputable he'll do this anyway.

which would NEVER happen from a mainstream tuner, because the tuner sees that file as something he can sell for £500 a pop, theres no way they'd hand out a file that could then be passed on to others, which is also specifically why they try to make it difficult to read it off the ECU.

Absolutely.

Last edited:
My point is this, you take your S3 to a tuner with some GT series hybrid turbo fitted, and get it mapped, and its likely to be a fully custom job, written for your car, and will cost in the region of £500.

Its also fair to state that the more wildly tuned a car happens to be, the more difficult it is to tune, in so far as more maps inside the ECU need changed, the MAF and injectors for instance might have been replaced with larger items, so additional calibration work is required for that.

So if a tuner can produce a "difficult" map for a 400hp S3, for £500 or thereabouts, how exactly can you suggest it costs MORE to write what is in effect a much simpler Stage 1 tune? Especially when they're then going to sell that same file to many thousands of people, the cost per unit sold is tiny.

Every company has overheads, and that £500 for the custom map will be priced accordingly. The bloke writing the custom map needs to make a living.

Sure it might require testing on a few different cars, but in general these maps are conservative by their very nature, they're designed to be able to be blasted on the car by inexperienced operators and are sold in their thousands. Once you understand the management system, and understand engines in general, its not challenging to write a stage 1 map, and most good tuners could do it without even seeing the car, so long as they knew enough about the engine in question.

As a result, the pricing for these maps is completely disjoint from the work involved, and the companies are quite simply ripping you off.

All of thats getting away from the initial issue anyhow.

Hes paid for a map, its on his ECU, hes free to do what he wants with it. If that means storing a copy on his computer incase the ECU explodes, then hes entitled to do that. If he fancies giving the binary to all his mates with the same car, then again, hes entitled to do that too.

Ofcourse the tuner probably wont like it, but the tuner has no rights to the software. The software belongs to Bosch/Audi, and just because they've modified it doesnt given them any copyright/IP rights, much that they'll try and insist otherwise, because it wasnt theirs to modify in the first place.

I think the same can be said for many mods (exhaust £1300 for a bit of scafolding and a cat), £400 for a CAI (again, a bit of scafolding and a foam cone)! I think the whole industry is optimistic with its pricing, but somehow it seems self supporting and people rock up and pay without too much of a moan.

I hope the OP manages to get his issue resolved, so best of luck with it, and apologies for the diversion!

in the case of reading the revo file... read away if you can, but dont expect it to work if flashed into the ecu by anyone other than a revo dealer with the right flash tool... and they would not be flashing a "read" file anyhow, but an original revo - to use that as an example

I think the same can be said for many mods (exhaust £1300 for a bit of scafolding and a cat), £400 for a CAI (again, a bit of scafolding and a foam cone)! I think the whole industry is optimistic with its pricing, but somehow it seems self supporting and people rock up and pay without too much of a moan.

I hope the OP manages to get his issue resolved, so best of luck with it, and apologies for the diversion!

Yep, and some exhausts are a rip off too. If a good local exhaust fab shop can build a full system for your car for half the price of some branded one, the branded one is clearly overpriced.

Similarly you can buy some silly £400 CAI, or pay 40quid for a jetex cone

I think people pay it because they dont really understand the real costs involved, or perhaps because of the branding. In the same way they might buy a £80 pair of Levis rather than some jeans from Asda. Dont get me wrong, i'm not belittleing the work as its a skilled job, but while i'd happily pay the money for a tuner to actually tune my car, where i know the time involved and the money i'm paying is actually going somewhere. i would never pay £400 or whatever they charge to have a generic stage 1 map installed.

Maybe an analogy would be calling an electrician out for some repair work. The first guy flicks a switch, plugs a tester in and charges you £450. The second guy rewires half the house and charges £550. Most people would look at that and realise the first guy took you for a ride.

Bill: i'm not sure if it is a Revo map he has, the OP didnt mention Revo at all. Some tuners do of course modify the code in such a way that it will only run on the ECU it was originally written to. Some also offer trials that revert the car to a state where it makes less power than it did to begin with, yet are seen as trustworthy reputable companies!

Some also offer trials that revert the car to a state where it makes less power than it did to begin with, yet are seen as trustworthy reputable companies!

Not the first time I've heard this but can't believe they'd risk the reputational damage, you really don't like Revo do you :lmfao:

You started the revo chat lol.

I just dont like companies taking folk for a ride and ripping people off, wether its a remap or a pair of shoes or a television.

Unfortunately we appear to have built ourselves a society where that happens daily, and we accept it, infact more than that; find ways to justify why the overpriced item is infact "worth it", rather than realising we're being mugged off and telling them to GTF.

Bill: i'm not sure if it is a Revo map he has, the OP didnt mention Revo at all. Some tuners do of course modify the code in such a way that it will only run on the ECU it was originally written to. Some also offer trials that revert the car to a state where it makes less power than it did to begin with, yet are seen as trustworthy reputable companies!

thats not the case wrt revo example.... they dont just flash to "normal" areas, is all I will say ;)

in addtion, most flash tools used by tuners are slave tools - the files stored on a computer disk after a read or sent to the tuner after modification are encrypted by the flash tool, and only a master tool can dectrypt them - obviously some tuners who actually change the files will have a master tool but most dont. Each file is matched to an ecu when its encrypted, so a tuner cant write a stage 1 a3 tdi file to any other similar car other than the one it was encoded for by the master tool. this stops a tuner/reseller paying for 1 remap but then writing it to 10 similar cars.

revo agents work in exactly this way with each agent having a slave tool, and revo keeping a copy of your original file and tuned file in case they need to be flashed back to your car - the file can only be written to the ecu that it was written/paid for because of the slave tool encryption and their logging system.

some tuner tools, particularly the chinese clones will be a master tool, and these tend to read/write unencrypted binary files - for example vag-can commander (now avdi) can read/write unencrypted binary files but for a rather limited range of cars/ecu models

Thanks for all the replies but there is no need to argue as its just a simple question.

I'm not trying to tune a file , I'm not trying to remap the car by myself , I'm not trying to be a pro tuner....etc

My car has already been remapped professionally (not revo....lol) and all i want to do is make a backup of the bin file so should anything happen to the ecu then i could give the file to a tuner and say “write that to it”....lol

The tuner already gave me a backup of the original bin but i would also like to have a backup of the remapped one. and i remember someone saying that it can be done with nefmoto but i cant find a step by step anywhere :(

I've not personally had a chance to use Nefmoto yet, as i dont have my ME7 ECU up and running, however it should be fairly self explanitory?

The wiki on the nefmoto page gives something of a "howto" under the Use section:

NefMoto ECU Flashing Software - Nefmoto

The only bit you need is the memory layout, and if you scroll a little further down that page you will find a list of ECU's and the corresponding memory layout, which would appear to be AM29F800 or AM29F800BB for most of the 1.8T ECU's

Give it a try and see what happens. If it appears to be a successful dump, then grab ME7Checker and ensure it passes that too.

I've not personally had a chance to use Nefmoto yet, as i dont have my ME7 ECU up and running, however it should be fairly self explanitory?

The wiki on the nefmoto page gives something of a "howto" under the Use section:

NefMoto ECU Flashing Software - Nefmoto

The only bit you need is the memory layout, and if you scroll a little further down that page you will find a list of ECU's and the corresponding memory layout, which would appear to be AM29F800 or AM29F800BB for most of the 1.8T ECU's

Give it a try and see what happens. If it appears to be a successful dump, then grab ME7Checker and ensure it passes that too.

Thanks mate that was the sort of reply i was after ;)

So it seems that a step by step would be.......

capturecopyk.jpg

1. Connect my vagcom cabe to the car and my laptop.

2. Open nefmoto

3. Click button 1 and choose file ME7 29F800.MemoryLayout.xml

4. Make sure 2 says “Slow Init” and click 3 to connect

5. Click button 4 to read the remap.

Does that sound about right??

If so then i just have a couple more questions.....

Does button change to a disconnect button once you made a connection as i cant find a “Disconnect” button at the top of the screen ?

And when you click button 5 does it ask you where you want to save it or does it auto save it somewhere?

Thanks again ;)

Guessing again, but i suspect the button thats showing "Cancel Current Operation" in that pic, will probably also become the disconnect button?

Theres also a disconnect option in the "Connection" drop down menu.

The version i have (1.8.0.0) is slightly different to the layout shown in that pic.

No idea if it asks for a save location, try it and see!

or buy yourself a gallatto and read it with that... presuming there is no anti obd in your "professionals" tune to hamper this
800BB is the driver for aum

Theres also a disconnect option in the "Connection" drop down menu.

Can you see that in the pic i posted or are you talking about version 1.8.0.0 ?

800BB is the driver for aum

Hmmm....

The nefmoto website says that for ecu’s with the part number 06A906032HJ , you need to select file ME7 29F800.

Can you see that in the pic i posted or are you talking about version 1.8.0.0 ?

Hmmm....

The nefmoto website says that for ecu’s with the part number 06A906032HJ , you need to select file ME7 29F800.

for galletto its the one I said

good luck - whatever

As bill says, its an 800BB flash chip thats used on most 1Meg VAG ECU's.

For a read it wont matter if you use the wrong one, the read will either simply fail, or it'll appear to work but the dump will be useless.

Obviously writing with the wrong layout will probably result in a bricked ECU, but your not writing anything anyway.

If you brick the ecu or run into trouble pm me I can fix it for you.

good luck - whatever you decide to do I'm right behind you

Thanks mate .....LOL ;)

As bill says, its an 800BB flash chip thats used on most 1Meg VAG ECU's.

For a read it wont matter if you use the wrong one, the read will either simply fail, or it'll appear to work but the dump will be useless.

Obviously writing with the wrong layout will probably result in a bricked ECU, but your not writing anything anyway.

Thanks mate.

is the 800BB just for galletto but as I'm using a vagcom cable then i use me7 29f800?

I don't really want to be a guinea pig and be the first to try this .....lol

If you brick the ecu or run into trouble pm me I can fix it for you.

These are the sort of posts that make me s*it my pants......lol

Thanks mate .....LOL ;)

Thanks mate.

is the 800BB just for galletto but as I'm using a vagcom cable then i use me7 29f800?

I don't really want to be a guinea pig and be the first to try this .....lol

These are the sort of posts that make me s*it my pants......lol

If you are using Nef moto to read the file on your ecu then use the 800bb from validation memory. If it fails then make sure you use the disconect button, don't just close the application.. if it fails to validate then just disconnect and try again. Once you have validated the memory table then the full read flash will become available.

Please make sure you have plenty of battery in your laptop or it's plug into the mains and you have a good charged battery or mains charger on it when you do this as it needs 12 volts to work.

Don't worry about it. If it all goes t*ts up I will recover your ECU FOC, Your not a Guinea pig I've used it plenty of times and had no trouble with it that couldn't be fixed

Please make sure you have plenty of battery in your laptop or it's plug into the mains and you have a good charged battery or mains charger on it when you do this as it needs 12 volts to work.

How is this possible when a usb on a computer only pumps out 5v ?

PM sent ;)

How is this possible when a usb on a computer only pumps out 5v ?

PM sent ;)
The car battery needs a good 12 volts! The cable gets its power from the OBD port not the computer!!!:undwech:

Last edited:
I attempted this today but when i tried to install nefmoto it said that the computer needs to be on vista or higher and my laptop is still on XP :faint:

Tell me about it.....lol

I've been doing beachbuggys head in over pm then finally built up the courage to do it (a** chewing a hole in my seat), double click the nefmoto icon and get a poxy message saying i cant do it.....lol

I just found a thread on the nefmoto website were someone was saying that they cant get it to run on vista and the replies said to run it in XP compatibility mode :think:

Will only work on vista or above, I think for Tony ( mr nefmoto) to rewrite the software isn't his priority, he's working on logging and reverse engineering software for it.

Don't worry about pming me happy to help, and got my head deep in hybrid turbos at the moment so welcome the distraction!

Will only work on vista or above, I think for Tony ( mr nefmoto) to rewrite the software isn't his priority, he's working on logging and reverse engineering software for it.

Don't worry about pming me happy to help, and got my head deep in hybrid turbos at the moment so welcome the distraction!

Thanks mate ;)

I bit the bullet and installed windows 7 on my laptop.....lol

Ill let you know how i get on :)