Coolant error

steve184

Reaction score
This morning when i started my car, i got the red coolant error come in in my DIS. I immediately stopped and physically checked the coolant level under the bonnet and the level was where it should be. The error had cleared by the tie i had closed the bonnet and got back into the car.

Any ideas what this might be?

Temporary airlock? Or the sensor probes on the expansion tank on their way out? This kept happening to me with my old Golf mk4.

A replacement expansion tank including the probes was under £20 & a cinch to fit. Cured the issue.

Do you have to replace the whole expansion tank? Presumably you have to drain the coolant system too and refill afterwards?

Trying putting a bit more in, mine has done this on and off recently but *seems* to have stopped when I went beyond the tank seam.

Do you have to replace the whole expansion tank? Presumably you have to drain the coolant system too and refill afterwards?

The tank comes complete with the probes built in. I just lowered the coolant level by removing any fluid in the old expansion tank with a syringe, then swapped the tanks over and topped the fluid back up. Really easy.

This obviously came after a few weeks of getting the DIS message and checking the fluid levels all the time.

Trying putting a bit more in, mine has done this on and off recently but *seems* to have stopped when I went beyond the tank seam.

Bit odd - why would it think the level was too low - if it was indeed between the markings where it should be - don't want to overfill it as this can cause leaks to develop can't it?

I know - it may be coincidence but it hasn't come on again, I filled it up to 3/4 with some anti freeze.

Had the same issue a few weeks ago - Audi ended up replacing the coolant bottle and sensor as they were faulty.

I read on another post to scrape the prongs inside the tank with a screw driver. it seems a build up of something on the metal breaks the circuit fooling it into thinking there is no coolant. worked for me anyhow

Had this problem myself this morning. so just cleaned contacts on probes.
Hope thats sorted it.

As many have said you can clean the contacts or replace with new tank to cure the problem. New tank ain't that expensive anyway. Circa £25. Plus you get the added bonus of a clear new bottle!

I used to get this every winter with my old A3, only when it was cold. I think its just a sensor error/being slow due to the cold. Never happened when warm.