Anyone with angel eyes on their 8P?

pandoo1

Reaction score
Hey guys,
just on ebay and saw the angel eyes for the 8P, I personally think they dont look too bad, as the black insert ones look quite subtle.

Anyone got them? Pics please :)

Thanks

Just search for angel eyes A3 Audi 8P on the bay and found nothing (only found for 8L).

Aren't they BMW style with backlit halo around the bulb?

Personally I'd prefer an OEM upgrade as aftermarket lights to me are the devils work ever since the advent of the Lexus style rear cluster!

Angel eyes only belong on a BMW and even then they've got to be OEM or they look chav.

Reactions: MrWhItEwOlF and FranA3
I'd leave angel eyes to the Beemers. Have to agree with Warren, aftermarket lights, regardless of car, in my opinion tend to look cheap and tacky.

Hmm, I just wanted to see how they look tbh.
I might have to start saving up for the oem xenons.

Hmmmmm, I've looked at them with an open mind and for some reason because I'm so pre-programmed to spot OEM they just don't gel with wht my brain expects - not saying it's not right, just not sure I'd do it myself. At the end of the day if you like them then that's what counts, but I've noticed a marked step change toward OEM conversions in the last few years, and it means you maintain the integrity of the look and feel.

May be worth a try though, they can always be sold on if they don't work out as you planned.

Wise words Warren, its true how everyone has slowly moved towards the OEM scene. I could just buy them and if I dont like them sell them on, and as I'm at uni saving up for OEM xenons will take virtually years!
The reason why I did kind of like them is because they dont look overally chav like.

IF these idiots who make these aftermarket headlights made them WITHOUT the angeleyes and made the projector and main beam a little bit more OEM looking then I think they would sell well because the 8P A3 was saddled with older fashioned halogen headlamps rather than projectors seen on the older car, hence why the OEM Xenons are so expensive and so cheap for other cars that had xenons/projectors as standard. You could run them without the halos lit up but even off you can see the halo ring and they will always be obviously not OEM, but they are not too bad compared with some aftermarket headlights.

Last edited:
If you give them a go make sure you post up pictures.
:icon_thumright:

It'll be good to see something different even if they might look chavy.

to be fair mate, the OEM bi-xenons can be bought for about double the price for those headlights... just take your time on it, get the bits slowly... maybe even one OEM headlight and then the other one a month later... its do-able!

The Bi-Xenons are usually up for a more than that IME or they often don't have the ballasts/bulb. Then you would have to make custom wiring for them to fit (10 pin vs 14pin for Bi-Xenon) and that's without even thinking about the level motors and sensors!

There are the 03-05 OEM single Xenons but they seem to be even rarer! But they do plug and play + a VAGCOM setting change (with the exception of the levelling system).

Last edited:
The Bi-Xenons are usually up for a more than that IME or they often don't have the ballasts/bulb.

the facelift bi-xenons (with LED DRLs) are more expensive and dont come often with ballasts... but nearly all the pre-facelift bi-xenon headlights i have seen on sale on ebay (believe me i see alot as i fit a good few of these) all usually come complete and within £400... i personally paid £330 delivered for my own set.

here are some on bay currently... there isnt much choice out there right now...

facelift: ***AUDI A3 CAB S3 RS3 BI-XENON HEADLAMPS. MINT CONDITION!!*** | eBay

Pre-facelift: Audi A3 S3 Bi Xenon Drivers Side Headlight | eBay

standard xenon: Nsf Passenger Side Audi A3 Headlamp,xenon With Ballast No Bulb 8po941003e | eBay
this has no bulb but they are cheap to pick up.

Im still sitting on the fence on these light, I would love to get them lamin-x'd and I believe it could look good.

Angels belong on a Beemer as said by others. Aftermarket housings are using cheap and dont have great cut offs on the beam like the OEMs do. I would say get some OEM xenons, will look the part and mantains the premium look of your Audi!

If you really have to get aftermarket ones then why not the devil lights which mimic the Audi r8 ones. Also go for proper branded ones and not ones on ebay from china!

If I had the money I would definitely get the OEM ones! I dont really like the devil r8 look ones as it looks chavvy (Personal Opinion). I wont be getting the cheap ones from china, I saw some from FK automotive.

Is lamin-X and some Philips Crystal Vision Xenon 4300k bulbs a workable temporary option, or do you dislike your lights so much they have to go?

Is it worth putting in a prospective request on one of those breakers sites for the headlights you're after in case it turns up any other options?

Hmm could do that breaker site requests but I recon it would still cost me about £300-£400 for a pair, also its cause my n/s headlight cracked and the others just hazy.

Also if you are intending on having HID kit fitted to those angels then this is a no no, as it will blow your wiper motor. i'm assuming the angel housing has projector lens, therefore halogen bulbs will not output enough light as they are intended for reflector housings. Only route of having xenon lights is oem i'm afraid.

angel eye headlights inc delivery is about £170... Lamin x another £50ish... Philips bulbs another £30-£50... your already into OEM Bi-xenon money now!

Wouldn't he need the leveling thingamy and a new bumper with washer jets and all that shiz if he was fitting OEM biXenons? Never looked into it myself. I eat a lot of carrots so I don't really need xenons.

The headlight unit has got a projector and andi1 stated that he has hid kits that doesn't blow the wiper motor...
I guess in one way it'll be something unique however I dont want them to look chavvy at the same time.

the facelift bi-xenons (with LED DRLs) are more expensive and dont come often with ballasts... but nearly all the pre-facelift bi-xenon headlights i have seen on sale on ebay (believe me i see alot as i fit a good few of these) all usually come complete and within £400... i personally paid £330 delivered for my own set.

here are some on bay currently... there isnt much choice out there right now...

facelift: ***AUDI A3 CAB S3 RS3 BI-XENON HEADLAMPS. MINT CONDITION!!*** | eBay

Pre-facelift: Audi A3 S3 Bi Xenon Drivers Side Headlight | eBay

standard xenon: Nsf Passenger Side Audi A3 Headlamp,xenon With Ballast No Bulb 8po941003e | eBay
this has no bulb but they are cheap to pick up.

You've kind of proved my point! One headlight on it's own is not worth half as much as buying a pair! And one old style headlight without bulb at £150 isn't a great deal. You have to find a random matching headlight when most are in pairs. I've seen plenty of A3 xenon headlights without ballast and bulbs and if the A3 was not so susceptible to wiper motor failure I'd have bought them and fitted a £35 HID kit but as that is not really viable they need to be complete with the ballast at least. And as said the Bixenons require a lot of work to even fit without levelling/washers. That said, the Bi-Xenons look fantastic on the car (not really a fan of the single xenon, they don't look right for some reason).

The facelift stuff is irrelevant, not sure if they made more of them with projectors/xenons bu the 03-08 shape was rare so prices will always hold up much like the S-line stuff (face lift 08-on bumpers are ten a penny and cheap on ebay for example).

For £160 the halo ones will be plug and play with a halogen bulb - looks apart, that is a LOT cheaper I would say! (and easier!)

Last edited:
I believe these are the same headlights;
DSC04078.jpg

DSC04079.jpg

They don't look too bad IMO, perhaps they could be disassembled to remove the halos!!

You've kind of proved my point! One headlight on it's own is not worth half as much as buying a pair! And one old style headlight without bulb at £150 isn't a great deal. You have to find a random matching headlight when most are in pairs. I've seen plenty of A3 xenon headlights without ballast and bulbs and if the A3 was not so susceptible to wiper motor failure I'd have bought them and fitted a £35 HID kit but as that is not really viable they need to be complete with the ballast at least. And as said the Bixenons require a lot of work to even fit without levelling/washers. That said, the Bi-Xenons look fantastic on the car (not really a fan of the single xenon, they don't look right for some reason).

The facelift stuff is irrelevant, not sure if they made more of them with projectors/xenons bu the 03-08 shape was rare so prices will always hold up much like the S-line stuff (face lift 08-on bumpers are ten a penny and cheap on ebay for example).

For £160 the halo ones will be plug and play with a halogen bulb - looks apart, that is a LOT cheaper I would say! (and easier!)

the bulbs are cheap, i got a set of 8000k D1S bulbs for around £30! people are paying more for the crappy phillips ones which have a less light output.

the halo lights are only round halo sidelights... no xenons so not even in comparison to the OEM xenon or bi-xenon! not to mention on the bi-xenon you get the DRL light which the halo one again doesnt.

if you want cheap and cheerful you may as well just get these and fit them to the standard headlights 1 x White 99mm CCFL Angel Eye Halo Ring Car Motorcycle Light Lamp | eBay

i dont yet have auto levelling sensors on my car and i still havent had any issues. no one flashes at me because i dont blind anyone with the lights and i passed my MOT with no problems just a couple months ago. i have had my bi-xenons on for months now no issues at all.
to fit the bixenons WITHOUT the washers and levellers all you need is a harness adapter and to plug in a couple pins to the CE. it takes me less than a couple hours to do the whole job which includes taking off the front bumper, refitting the bi-xenons, wiring & coding.

in the end we have premuim cars... and i dont think anyone here would want to make their premium car look anything less than premium. but if this is your style then good luck to you.

21346900001_large.jpg

DSC04078.jpg

DSC04079.jpg

They don't look too bad IMO, perhaps they could be disassembled to remove the halos!!

this does look nice!

also i would just like to add that its not just OEM xenons that need the auto levelling and washers... the law is that any car that has xenons (OEM or generic HID kit) should have auto levellers and headlight washers... so to those who try to argue that fitting OEM bi-xenons is costly and long because of the law implication remember that any HID kit, may it be from Andi1 or anyone else will still require the washers and auto-levelling to stay legal.

personally i am not fussed with the legal aspect of the headlights. :p

DSC04078.jpg

DSC04079.jpg

They look pretty good but they do look like BMW lights on an Audi which is just wrong. In the dark everyone will think you are a BMW driver so they will cut you off, not let you out of junctions, try to race you or perhaps try to stop you to buy some drugs.

I also doubt the halo will be as bright as it is in that picture, it'll be either a single LED or a halogen bulb lighting a kind of clear banded ring. Even BMW can't really get this method to work well which is why the LCI (facelift) coupes use a different and rather more expensive bulb.

They look pretty good but they do look like BMW lights on an Audi which is just wrong. In the dark everyone will think you are a BMW driver so they will cut you off, not let you out of junctions, try to race you or perhaps try to stop you to buy some drugs.
HAHAHAHAHAHA :lmfao:

I also doubt the halo will be as bright as it is in that picture, it'll be either a single LED or a halogen bulb lighting a kind of clear banded ring. Even BMW can't really get this method to work well which is why the LCI (facelift) coupes use a different and rather more expensive bulb.

if you have a look at the site those pics come from you will notice that its a xenon bulb company, who also sell their own Angel eye kits so chances are they have already upgraded the halos. also have a good look and you will notice that the 2 headlights in the first picture have different bulbs in them in order to display the higher Kelvin bulb temp on the left headlight.

I had a custom set on my TT hand made by 'Was' of Vagcheck. They were OEM quality and very popular on amongst the TT lads. They looked stunning on my car, IMO. I wonder if something could be made by the man to fit the A3?

DSC03988-1.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHA :lmfao:

if you have a look at the site those pics come from you will notice that its a xenon bulb company, who also sell their own Angel eye kits so chances are they have already upgraded the halos. also have a good look and you will notice that the 2 headlights in the first picture have different bulbs in them in order to display the higher Kelvin bulb temp on the left headlight.
yeah i noticed that too ash , they don't look too bad but they belong on a bmw of some sort not a audi , just my 2p

Just search for angel eyes A3 Audi 8P on the bay and found nothing (only found for 8L).

!

thats because its not a good idear may as well be a nova if it has angels and its not a bm

That pic of the angels does look quite decent. I like them :wub:..something different I guess :)

the bulbs are cheap, i got a set of 8000k D1S bulbs for around £30! people are paying more for the crappy phillips ones which have a less light output.

the halo lights are only round halo sidelights... no xenons so not even in comparison to the OEM xenon or bi-xenon! not to mention on the bi-xenon you get the DRL light which the halo one again doesnt.

if you want cheap and cheerful you may as well just get these and fit them to the standard headlights 1 x White 99mm CCFL Angel Eye Halo Ring Car Motorcycle Light Lamp | eBay

i dont yet have auto levelling sensors on my car and i still havent had any issues. no one flashes at me because i dont blind anyone with the lights and i passed my MOT with no problems just a couple months ago. i have had my bi-xenons on for months now no issues at all.
to fit the bixenons WITHOUT the washers and levellers all you need is a harness adapter and to plug in a couple pins to the CE. it takes me less than a couple hours to do the whole job which includes taking off the front bumper, refitting the bi-xenons, wiring & coding.

in the end we have premuim cars... and i dont think anyone here would want to make their premium car look anything less than premium. but if this is your style then good luck to you.

I think you're getting a bit carried away! :p There's no point buying some halo rings off e-bay if that is their worst aspect, I'd be tempted to remove the rings or just not run them and run a normal 5w sidelight. I had bi-xenons on my old car and they weren't cheap or easy to get hold of and I'm sure you sat looking for a while to find some too! I made some custom looms for it but the car was unfortunately stolen (so would beasily identified as the loom is custom but I also modified the lights so the inner lamps weren't DRLs but main beam H7 too (as well as the bi-xenon function - for me there was therefore no need to connect extra wires to the CE as the bi-xenon solenoid I tagged off the main beam wire)).

I couldn't care less about the levelling and washers either, but most people on here seem to for some reason - the washers do nothing at all without the lense being wiped, and the levellers are mainly for load-levelling not for bumps etc. There is no issue with a HID xenon in a projector light set at the right beam level. What the halo lights offer is the projector look which is half the reason people want xenons IMO, the projector bowl often with a decent bulb gives the tint and control that a halogen reflector cannot.

They look much better on the TT. I think I'd have them if it was a single halo - that looks good. Two just looks like a wannabe BMW - everyone who went past would be looking at me going "Why didn't you just buy a 3-series?"

I think you're getting a bit carried away! :p There's no point buying some halo rings off e-bay if that is their worst aspect, I'd be tempted to remove the rings or just not run them and run a normal 5w sidelight. I had bi-xenons on my old car and they weren't cheap or easy to get hold of and I'm sure you sat looking for a while to find some too! I made some custom looms for it but the car was unfortunately stolen (so would beasily identified as the loom is custom but I also modified the lights so the inner lamps weren't DRLs but main beam H7 too (as well as the bi-xenon function - for me there was therefore no need to connect extra wires to the CE as the bi-xenon solenoid I tagged off the main beam wire)).

so u would pay £170 just for projectors? Why not buy projector lenses and just fit them onto the standard headlights?
And you bought bi-xenons and then converted them back to standard xenons? Mate something is wrong with the way you think!

Actually I only bought the bi-xenons cos I was offered them at a good price. I wasn't even looking or thinking about buying bi-xenons but the price was too good to ignore. Got it all done within £450.

Last edited:
so u would pay £170 just for projectors? Why not buy projector lenses and just fit them onto the standard headlights?
And you bought bi-xenons and then converted them back to standard xenons? Mate something is wrong with the way you think!

Actually I only bought the bi-xenons cos I was offered them at a good price. I wasn't even looking or thinking about buying bi-xenons but the price was too good to ignore. Got it all done within £450.

Easy with the insults, what you getting frustrated at? You mis-read my post. As standard I was less than impressed with the bi-xenon on full beam performance and think DRLs are pointless (the flash performance was also poor due to warm-up). So in addition to wiring the bi-xenons I ditched the DRL aspect and fitted a H7 high bulb to the inner lamps, so that on hi-beam it had hi-beam xenon + hi-beam H7. The car was coded for single xenon + halogen hi beam. The shutter was activated by the hi-beam +ve, I made a custom loom so that it plug and played (plus the coded change).

In the interest of clarity, I'm not looking at buying these projector lights but, from a balanced perspective, £170 gets you two brand new projector headlights off the shelf that plug and play, and with a hi-spec bulb will give you a half-way house setup of a xenon look for 1/3 of the price of your £450 (which, for most, is a high price to pay for 2nd hand headlights that require convertor looms in addition). I'm sure a 5w bulb can be modified to act an OEM style sidelight instead of the halos.

Getting OEM Xenons is a no-brainer (conversion for bi-xenon aside) but the reality is they are rare a f**k and just not that easy to get hold of, even for £450. Using your words these "premium cars" should really have these from the factory anyway instead of cheap reflectors that Audi put in these newer A3 and A4s!!

Last edited:
ahh i see, excuse the insults then. well that sounds blinding! so the xenon high beam just didnt do it for you

no mate i didnt pay £450 for just the headlights. i paid just under £450 for the headlights, new uprated bulbs, the LED DRLs, chrome indicators, LED sidelights and the wiring adapters, plus i fitted and coded myself so the £450 was for the whole headlight installed within that price.

Audi are really jsut trying to ilk the money off us... thats the reason they always show the S-Line models off first and then release the crappy version to the public with the special S-Line models at the top of the price bracket. sales tacktics suck and have us selling our kidneys for convenience and styling