Retrofit cruise control

lukeajones

Reaction score
Hi just going to pick up my new a3 2.0tfsi Quattro 8p on friday and wondering how do I go about fitting cruise control. I don't have a mfsw. I'm from north wales
Luke

First you find out what steering ecu you have. If you have DIS then you can have it fitted but it won't, if i remember correctly, have full functionality.

If you plan on fitting a MFSW in future then you might aswell upgrade your steering ecu while the steering wheel etc is off.

If you want to fit a MFSW you will need a 'Highline' steering ecu.

8P0 953 549 F will definitely accept both cruise control(full functionality) and MFSW. You may need the loom for the steering wheel buttons and also steering angle sensor(depends on what's fitted already)

Steering wheels can be found on eBay though you have to be careful what airbag you buy as earlier cars are Single stage and later cars are Dual stage airbag system. Can't remember the cut off dates, sorry.

You will have full functionality of the Cruise Control with whatever Steering ECU you have, providing you have a Trip Computer, but the pre-facelift A3's ('53-'05) have an alternate way to perform the Cruise Control actions.

What year A3 do you have?

Being a '56 plate it'll have full CC functions and are performed in the correct way. The wire for the CC will also be installed so its a simple swap of the Indicator/Cruise stalk and coding and you're done.

You'll also have the Type 2 slipring which is the slipring needed for MFSW, so if you wanted to install a MFSW all you would need apart from the wheel is the ECU that was posted above and the Airbag loom.

Cruise control has nothing to do with MFSW, as said its controlled by a seperate stalk and not buttons on the steering wheel...