Just got my car some goodies

S3featesV9

Reaction score
Just purchased a mk4 r32 rear arb and some new 19mm poly bushes.

Hoping it arrives before Wednesday as cars going in for cambelt service. And will just ask them to fit it for a bit of extra cash. Save me the job.

I'm just wondering, will it be a big improvement on standard suspension? Or will I need some lowering springs to feel and handling gains?

Are the spax 30mm lowerings on eBay any good?
Also wondering how much a garage would charge on average to fit springs? As its not a job I really want to do. Rears maybe but cba with the fronts tbh

All sounds good!

When I put H&R front and rear anti-roll bars on, the handling vastly improved. They were about twice the size of standard and similar in size to your r32 one.

I think they are 21 on the back and 19 on the front.

I found that they greatly reduced body roll into corners and a very worthwhile mod.

Obviously, anything over standard will enhance the handling and coupled with lowering springs/suspension kit/dampers will finish the handling elements off nicely.

It's always good to do all at once but comes down to time and cost. I've always chosen an area and then tried to do in one hit as best can but as with any mod, one thing will lead to another.

Good luck.

Cost wise...may be £200 ish possibly. Depends on garages and relationships. Pin the tail on the do key really but get a fixed price first is what I'd recommend as these cars can be difficult sometimes.

On your thoughts on springs...If lowering and fitting springs, you will also need to consider the effect on handling as tracking alignment and camber adjustment are likely to be required. On the s3 you may need adjustable tie bars and like the arb's are about £300 inc vat. When you start adding 4 wheel laser wheel and camber alignment (normally at around £60), it can all add costs.

Essentially, you don't want to try to enhance the car and inadvertently make it handle worse. Its only when you go through the process do the pitfalls reveal themselves.

My mate does wheel alignment for me, I'll be getting daves tie arms.

Think springs will be happening around February time. Along with top mounts. I would prefere to do coilovers, but I'd want to get some half decent and can't afford to. So a set of decent springs will have to do.

Well my rear arb has just arrived, and found out it hasn't come with the collars that fit over the bushes, I take it mine won't fit and will need to get some from VW?

Also the hoop bit that I'm guessing keeps the bush central has about a third missing. Must of fell on during transport as its laying in the box. Is it essential it's all intact. Or will it be ok?

Thanks ppl

Mine fit ok, it was the inner diameter of the bushes that was different :)

Nice one. Just found out the r32 collars are same as the Audi 80. Called Audi an £11 for two including vat. Might aswell use new ones I suppose at that price

Because they look guff, most probably made of guff componants and quite probably will perform worse than the stock 7-12year old suspension setup.

Yer I agree! Dont buy the cheap coilies, I made that mistake and regret it as they are now causing me more hassle than they are worth!
It's true what they say: buy cheap, buy twice!
Trust me save up and get some decent ones like KW V1's!

Think I'll just get some decent springs, here the spax ones are good of eBay. Lower 30mm and are well within budget. Which means I can get some tie arms at the same time. Along with new top mounts. Just fitted the rear arb and cleaned the motor as its been a month. Took nearly two hours, not leaving it that long this time.
c7d30b35.jpg

4d5ed37d.jpg

Minging.

Have to say though the rear arb has made a huge improvement, alot more than expected tbh