Suspension Questions

jdas03

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Finally got the funds to think about swapping my crap FK AK coilovers on my S3!
It's really down to two options I think having read stickies and others opinions - Either: Billstein B8 and a set of springs - around £700 OR KW V1 basic (dont think the Innox offer much extra for the money) costing about £600
I would like opinons of people on this, I'm not worried about comfort too much having the FK's on currently, I am purely wanting a reliable lasting and great handling set up! I will also more than likely set the height of the coilover and leave them, dont want to have to adjust them all the time really, though I like the ability to set an even stance.

How do the KW's compare to the B8's in the performance stakes?

Any opionions would be appreciated :)

No idea on the best suspension setup, although I would be interested in understanding what you find crap about the FK's as I was thinking of swapping out my suspension setup due to top mounts needing to be replaced (a bit overkill perhaps but if I have to remove the springs/shocks why not replace the lot at the same time - if it can be done cost effectively).

FK's appear reasonably priced - depending on what's crap about them, I might take yours off you?
I don't really care about dropping the car, I'd rather not truth be told - unless it makes a significant difference!

Thanks for the replies guys.
With regards to the FKs they tightened up the ride quite alot but are very noisy, they rattle a bit on rough roads etc.
I thought they were ******** but only had them on for about 3k and had someone look at them, they told me there's not signs that there broken so I guess I have to accept they are noisy. To be honest though the rattling sound is really annoying me and doesn't give me much faith in them lasting so I am going to do it properly and go for reputable product regardless the fact they cost a fair bit more.

Thanks for the reply Damien, what makes you choose the bilsteins? Do they out perform the KWs?
Also thinking front and rear arbs, see you do a set of Einbach and h and r front and rear bars. Which you you recommend for giving the best performance?

Cheers

I've got the kw's and in think they're ace!
Can't compare to anything else on an s3 as I haven't driven another s3 with a different setup!!!

I've got bilsteins and h&rs on mine couPled with neuspeed arb's and it handles great! Although I've been in jojo's car who has eibachs and it's much more comfy but in terms of everyday use and comfort, my set up is pretty good! Handles very well!

mine rattle too,just waiting for my top mounts to arrive.personally I think its ott to swap out the coils if they aren't broken. try doing the top mounts first imo

I've got the FK's on mine, the rear shocks rattled straight away from new, got a replacement pair sent straight out though from FK in germany which was good service and sorted the rattle out.
They're great value for money, under £200 new and the customer service is great, I'll see how long they last!

Mine rattle front and back, I stupidly do not have the original invoice either so I can't swap them out for replacements.
I also have changed the top mounts to no avail :-(

Such a difficult choice as for some reason I like the sound of the KW's having already had coilovers, however everyone seems to reckon the Billy B8s and Eibachs are the best set up for quality handling so ill probably go with the tried and tested!

Do you guys have any opinions on ARB set ups? I know R32 rear is popular but I think i'm going to replace both to go with the new suspension.
DPM have two options - Eibach with 26mm front and 24mm rear and H and R with 25mm front and 21mm rear... tempted by the Eibachs as if my knowledge is correct they should do more to eliminate understeer as the rear and fronts are nearer together in size?

Cheers for all the help as always :)