2011 S3 pause, sorry, launch from standstill query

RPB

Reaction score
Wtf is it with the S-Tronic "pause"'before it actually takes off in 1st gear? I mean, am at traffic lights and want a rapid start. Put foot down and the car just sits there for what feels like ages before it pulls off. Any normal car is already off the line and gone. Now don't get me wrong, it flies and being DSG changes gear quickly but that f**king pause is doing my head in! Lol. ***

If you want the full effect, you need to use the Launch Control function. Otherwise, any auto system seems to pause ever so slightly before taking off and you soon get used to it. :)

have you tried raising the revs while holding the brake then letting go of the brake.
could it also be the hill hold assist/auto handbrake where revs have to be at a certain level before it will release?

Both my old A3 DSG and new S3 Stronic did this using launch control, really defeats the point of launch control in my eyes unless doing timed runs!

You don't get the hesitation if you use the handbrake. A switch from the foot brake dis-engages the clutch, so when you let the brake off there's a split-second before the clutch re-engages, often accompanied by a thump if you're heavy footed!
This doesn't happen with the handbrake. The engine will try to pull at first and then settles. As soon as you release the hand brake, the acceleration is instant.

At least, that's what my 05 2.0l Tdi does....

That's just gonna fry the clutch though!

No it won't, it stops trying to drive after a second or two.
Try it, it won't do anywhere near the damage that launch control does, if any! :noway:

have you ever thought about driving off lights normally lol

LOL, made me pi55 that did! Nice 1 :D
Yes actually I do drive off normally cus I am fed up of 1 litre chav chariots beating me as they must think my car is a normal A3 made to look like an S3.
Edited to add that I spend over 90% of my time on Specs camera roads anyway, so I am thinking, why did I post this in the first place? Ha.

Right you lot :)
Lets bury a few myths here. the delay in launch in nothing to do with DSG ! You are basically sitting at the lights with a Turbo that's doing nothing at 650 rpm. You then put your foot down and expect full boost and 300bhp ? The turbo needs to spin up and that's why the car does nothing for a second. some of you have hit on the answer via the back door buy saying give it revs with the brake on etc. That is allowing the turbo to get going before the car :). It has nothing to do with gearbox take up or auto clutch release. The proof really was in my old 3.2 DSG that had instant get away and slammed you back in the seat from 1mph and had the same gearbox. I even started a thread when i bought the S3 just like this one saying its almost dangerous trying to pull out in a gap in the traffic because by the time the car gett going you have often missed the gap.

Is there a defined procedure for enabling launch control on DSG box?

Right you lot :)
Lets bury a few myths here. the delay in launch in nothing to do with DSG ! You are basically sitting at the lights with a Turbo that's doing nothing at 650 rpm. You then put your foot down and expect full boost and 300bhp ? The turbo needs to spin up and that's why the car does nothing for a second. some of you have hit on the answer via the back door buy saying give it revs with the brake on etc. That is allowing the turbo to get going before the car :). It has nothing to do with gearbox take up or auto clutch release. The proof really was in my old 3.2 DSG that had instant get away and slammed you back in the seat from 1mph and had the same gearbox. I even started a thread when i bought the S3 just like this one saying its almost dangerous trying to pull out in a gap in the traffic because by the time the car gett going you have often missed the gap.

Paddy - you are right if you are talking about nomall launches, but I'm talking about the launch control delay, the split second when you release the brake and then set off. Its the ECU/Brake switch delay before its worked out what to do.

Is there a defined procedure for enabling launch control on DSG box?

Yes mate,

S or M Mode
Disable ESP
Foot on brake
Floor it, revs hold at ~3.2k
Let off brake
(0.5 second delay)
Fly!

Hi silky
My guess is it cant just dump the clutch as the shock through the drive train, especially the UJ's, prop and drive, would finish them if people started to use it regularly so the delay is a slight feed in from the clutch.
Just a guess though :)

I found a sticky spot on my throttle peddle while pushing it through the floor chasing a M3 the other day.....tuns out its a kick down switch and supposed to be there and should in effect manually kick down if its trying to stay in the gear you are in........I know this because after 3 months i looked at the manual. :) there's me thinking it was just squashing the carpet :)

Hi silky
My guess is it cant just dump the clutch as the shock through the drive train, especially the UJ's, prop and drive, would finish them if people started to use it regularly so the delay is a slight feed in from the clutch.
Just a guess though :)

Maybe mate, but it does feel very electronic. :)

I found a sticky spot on my throttle peddle while pushing it through the floor chasing a M3 the other day.....tuns out its a kick down switch and supposed to be there and should in effect manually kick down if its trying to stay in the gear you are in........I know this because after 3 months i looked at the manual. :) there's me thinking it was just squashing the carpet :)

LOL, more fun to be had! I find it a bit of a pain as when your in M it will still kick down. The Stronic remap gets rid of that 'feature' :)

Found one of these on the old Merc some years back, wondered what the heck it was at first! :) Does exactly what you have just described. :) Still doesn't go anywhere but makes a nice tune from the straight six!

So let me get this right....

You lot are saying that if you are at a standstill in 'D' with your foot on the brake, and you then try to pull off by taking your foot off of the brake and planting it on the gas pedal you get a pause (i.e. NOTHING!?!?) and then a split second later the power comes in with a thud (just like if you press the gas too soon when changing from 'N'/'P'/'R' to 'D'). Is that what you are saying??

If so, mine doesn't do this at all. Ok, mine's not an S3, it's a 2.0T, and its a 2006 not an 2011. But still... if I sit with my foot on the brake when in 'D' and then floor it I get no pause at all. The car just takes off immediately. Ok, there's no turbo for a little while but the car still moves off the moment I press the gas.

Ads, so if you're stopped with your foot on the brake in D, is the engine 'pulling'? If so, it shouldn't.

Or is yours an automatic? :think:

LOL, more fun to be had! I find it a bit of a pain as when your in M it will still kick down. The Stronic remap gets rid of that 'feature' :)

I think they fixed this in MY11 because someone commented on this before and when i am in M it will not kick down ? Even at 20mph in 6th !! I tried everything and M is completely M now. :)

I think they fixed this in MY11 because someone commented on this before and when i am in M it will not kick down ? Even at 20mph in 6th !! I tried everything and M is completely M now. :)

Really!!! Are you sure?

Absolutely, it changes down so you cant stop in 6th but it dosnt kick down on the move in M. I tried to make it do it last time this came up.

Ads, so if you're stopped with your foot on the brake in D, is the engine 'pulling'? If so, it shouldn't.

Or is yours an automatic? :think:

Nope, engine isn't pulling when in D with brake applied.

Mine is an s-tronic / DSG box.

If I take my foot off of the brake when in D and don't press the gas then it takes a little while (pause) for the car to creep forward, but if I hit the gas straight away after realising the brake then there's no noticeable pause at all.

Very rarely does another car take off quicker than me, and nipping on to roundabouts etc is no problem at all.

The only pauses I get are, as mentioned, when changing from reverse or neutral/park to drive. Then there is a half a second pause while it engages first. Also, I get the usual pause when changing down using the paddles.

Absolutely, it changes down so you cant stop in 6th but it dosnt kick down on the move in M. I tried to make it do it last time this came up.

Wow, might have to find my self a 2011 Stronic ECU....

on my a6 it wont change down in m if you floor the pedal slowly but it you just stamp on it it does.

I'll give this little experiment a try later...see if mine does it!

on my a6 it wont change down in m if you floor the pedal slowly but it you just stamp on it it does.

Yes that how most of them work mate, (you don't need to press it slowly, just don't activate the kick down button at the bottom of the stroke) but it seems MY11 have been upgraded!

there is no kickdown at the bottom tho. it will kick down before being half way down if you jab it quick thats what i mean.

Just tried mine again and it dosnt kick down in M but the book of words says it should so Silky is correct..I will have a look tomorrow in daylight and see if there is a stop in place on the accelerator peddle or something.
I cant see why this should be a problem though as the kick down is past full throttle....and i thought you could hold it in gear with the paddles anyway ?

Just tried mine again and it dosnt kick down in M but the book of words says it should so Silky is correct..I will have a look tomorrow in daylight and see if there is a stop in place on the accelerator peddle or something.
I cant see why this should be a problem though as the kick down is past full throttle....and i thought you could hold it in gear with the paddles anyway ?

Strange! You can't hold it in gear with the paddles, like you say you just need to be careful not to go passed 100% when in M mode. I've got it down to a tee now....

Let us know if you find anything (TBH, its better your way!)

could be worse gents, you could just rape your clutches like us manual owners every time you got a flying launch! Seems you don't suffer like us cog stirrers for wear & tear.