Brake Caliper Assembly Grease

Alex C

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Only reason to use it I can see is to ease sliding the pistons in... its not like you have to re-silicon them every 5k miles etc..

Personally I have only ever used brake fluid to wipe around piston seals before assembly in the past... not sure I would want any other lubricant potentially mixing with brake fluid in the cylinders and contaminating it...

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
When i am rebuilding calipers at work we use a silicone lube. I belive its made by a company called "Hunters" and its not that expensive to buy.

When i am rebuilding calipers at work we use a silicone lube. I belive its made by a company called "Hunters" and its not that expensive to buy.

is it only appiled to the o-ring seal? I searched for "hunters silicone lubricant sealant " couldnt really see much

While we're on the subject, would you use this kind of thing on caliper slider pins too, or copper grease / red-rubber grease instead?

Silicone grease for any part that comes into contact with rubber or plastic. A light smear around exposed part of brake piston before pushing in, rear brake sliders, hydraulic struts on boot/bonnet, a smear on your door seals to stop the doors freezing shut etc...
Carlube now do a version for sensible money: Carlube Motor Oil - Carlube Silcone Grease
RS also do it for sensible money if you live near one: Buy Precison Lubricants RS Silicone Grease, 100g Tube RS ##MPN## online from RS for next day delivery.

Last edited: