A3 quattro bevel gearbox oil change

Botlier

Reaction score
I have a 6 speed 2006 manual A3 quattro. I used 2.5l of Redline ML-90 in the gearbox but it does not seem to connect through to the bevel box. I drained 0.5 l from the bevel box from a 19mm magnetic plug. There is a 6mm hex key filler hole way up that I can't get to. I plan to put the same oil in the bevel box as I put in the manual gear box. Will I have to fill this from the drain plug?

Bevel box (provides right angle drive) is the box attached to the rear of the front gearbox and the drive shaft comes from it to connect to the Haldex box in front of the rear diff.
ps. I just checked the oil filling plug at the top and a 5mm hex fits but I don't dare to remove it cause I don't think I could replace it again.
Looks like I have to fill from the drain. How do I do this?

You mean the transfer box.

Make absolutely sure you put the right stuff in it.

I've managed to pump oil in via the drain hole and then quickly replace the magnetic plug.

There was about 0.1l of dirty oil there when I removed the plug, after I had driven around 20km expecting the oil from the gearbox to somehow transfer into the bevel box. (Saw posts that this would happen). It was too slow for me, I didn't like the whine.

I pumped 0.5l of new oil in and out a few times to flush the box before finishing with 0.6l of new 75W90NS. The box now runs quiet.

Does anyone know if the 8P A3 Bentley manual shows the Quattro Bevel gearbox and how to do the oil change on it?

I have this problem too, Elsawin calls it a Bevel box, I have been searching under Transfer box but loads of people seem to call it that too. my car is a 55 plate A3 TDI Quattro and I was advised the oil would transfer through from the gearbox but they are separate and not only that they use different oil, colour and smell different and that's a technical as I can get at the moment. Is there any reference tables that would tell me what oil I need?

Borrowing the thread a little, hope you dont mind!

Ive been meaning to change the oil in the gearbox on my A3 2006 manual Quattro aswell. Is it really necessary to change the oil in the transfer box at the same time?

Im about to change the oil because i feel that the gears isnt as smooth as they should be. Especially not the 2nd gear. Its worst when the gearbox is cold. Its like it "bounces" back when i try to get it in. So i have to use abit more force. Might i still get an improvement if i only change the oil in the gearbox, and not in the transferbox?

Do you recommend the Redline ML-90 or should i stick with the OEM oil? Car has traveled 13000km (20800miles?)

Sorry for my bad English, hope you understand what i mean.. :laugh:

You have the same age and model of car as me so the gearbox and transfer box are separate, which means you can change one and not the other. At your mileage, incidentally it's only 8,000 miles you really shouldn't be having that problem, others may also have comments but it sounds to me more likely to be a seized linkage or something. I don't know the oil you mentioned, I used Fuchs Titan Fe 75W Sintofluid which gets a very good name and do far gear changes do seem smoother but I didn't have a problem before and I haven't driven it that much, just finished the job tonight.

Sorry i missed out a 0 in the mileage. Its supposed to be 130000km, if that changes anything? Its not that there is any bad noices between the gears, and its for the most time only the 2nd gear that is troublesome when the box is cold. Its hard to describe exactly the symptome, but as i said in my previous post, its almost like the stick bounces a little in my hand when i try to get it in...

I hope this reply can help wrecksigge too. The oil I put in the main gearbox in Jan 2012 was full synthetic Redline GL-5 75W90NS. (NS for non slippery for syncros) but after 3 months of quiet running and slow/stiff syncro shifting, I changed again this time to Reline's full synthetic recommended GL-4 MT-90, which gave immediate relief and fast smooth shifting. I cannot beat the synchro, yet it is very easy to shift. Reline shifting claims for this MT Manual Transmission oil are true.
Now after 2 years and 110,000km it is still perfect. I didn't waste the oil that came out so clean, I put it in my Yanmar Saildrive bevel box as it is good with water.
The oil in the bevel(transfer) box is still the higher grade GL-5 75W90. It doesn't mix with the main box. Guess there is a seal. I could look in my Bentley.

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback! I am really tempted to try the Redline MT-90 oil now. I will start of with just changing the gearbox oil. If the improvement is satisfying i will leave the transferbox alone.

Yes, just the manual gearbox oil with the MT-90 will make your changing smooth as silk.
I would then definitely change the bevel box oil. It should be changed every 50,000 km judging by mine. The best oil is a GL5 75W90 full synthetic as it has highest oil shear durability to viscosity loss. I ground a plastic wine bottle cork with a taper to press fit the bevel drain hole and drilled through the center of the cork for my oil pump hose. Oil pumped in slowly without opening fill plug. I don't know where the air went. Lets know how you go.

The oil for the transfer box is graded as the same that is used in the rear diff, NOT the haldex I might add.
Oil for the gearbox is graded on its own needs.