oil sump removal

Cam

Reaction score
I own a 1999 model audi a4 1.8t quattro.
I need to remove the sump as oil pressure warning light is flashing. According to haynes repair manual a engine hoist is needed to do this job. Does anyone know if it is possible to remove sump without a engine hoist. Any advice etc would be appreciated.

I know the A3 1.8t engine is just a case of axel stands/ramp to get to it underneath, very simple, Haynes manuals tend to over do things, take the sump guard off and take a look under your car, I'm 99% sure it will be the same. There's a thread on sump removal on an s3 on here, check it out.

Thanks for your reply. it looks similar but would also like to hear from someone who has removed sump from 1999 a4 quattro as i dont want to start the job then realise i havent got the correct equipement.

You need to lift the engine off the engine mounts, remove full front end and snub mount and jack/lift the engine to allow the sump to pass over the subframe iirc have done it on a 1.8 ADR which is basically the same but none turbo, A3 is a lot easier as the engine is transverse.

Did you lift the engine with a trolley jack or engine hoist?

Well I had the car on a two post and used a transmission jack minus the cradle to jack the engine on the a/c pump mounting bracket which gave enough clearance to remove the sump.

I apologize for bad info mate, same thing happened with mine, red oil can of doom! Guess I should have looked into it first! Good luck with the repair!