s3 help please

palli17

Reaction score
hi there just brought my first s3, 210bhp apy engine, i was driving it back on the motorway went from 6th gear to 5th, it lost power, engine was under revving slowly cut out, oil light come on i turned it off immediately, lifted the bonnet, there was oil spitted everywhere and it had smoke coming from the oil filter,
now even though i never believe the aa man he said that its misfiring and down on one cylinder.

has anybody experienced this before?

now im looking at worse case scenerio which is change the engine etc,

can i change from apy to bam with out difficulty?

im not familiar with these engines,

any help would be much appreciated

Hummm... hate to say it but worst case here is you have thrown a rod... out the side of the block if there is oil everywhere...

When you say changed from 6th to 5th what did you mean?

The transverse 1.8t is pretty much the same engine across the range bar a few differences... fitting a BAM engine in is not a major headache as the blocks are the same... main differences in you case (assuming you are using a short engine rather than one with the turbo etc still fitted) is that the BAM head doesn't have SAI which your APY will have... no biggy as this can be removed easily enough and there are plenty of guides on here and elsewhere on the web... the other differences will be the VVT and the cam position sensor wheel... VVT has a 4 window wheel on the end of the inlet cam whereas the APY has a 2 window IIRC... these will need to be swapped over...

I think thats it for most parts but obviously there may be other small differences in some of the pipes etc that seeing as you are swapping stuff over will already be there for you to use...

<tuffty/>

Sounds like its thrown a rod! :( PM me when you find out what it is...

hey guys bad news, no compression on cylinder one! ends of a spark plugs missing aswell, i dont actually know what to do now, do i replace the engine or rebuild it? if i fit a BAM can i still use the same turbo etc?

Sounds like the rod has snapped firing the piston into the head, you can use all your bits of the engine (assuming they are serviceable) Get the head and sump off and inspect....