Dension

iamwhatiammomo

Reaction score
Hi, Just bought the dension gateway 100 after months on contemplating.. If anyones got one, how easy/or hard whichever you look at it, is it to install?.. also is it possible to rather than place wire through to the compartment box, to pushing the wire from under the centre console unit, so the ipod/iphone could sit in the ashtray.. Thanks

Really easy to fit. The hardest bit was getting the head unit out. Unlock it with stereo keys but is better to get access to the back of it and push it from behind so take the glove box out. I fitted mine with the Dension Ipod cradle and a Brodit clip so can't help with the other bits sorry.

Cheers mate, picked up some keys off ebay for a quid, not sure if they're cheap & useless ones but i'll give them a try

Really easy to fit. The hardest bit was getting the head unit out. Unlock it with stereo keys but is better to get access to the back of it and push it from behind so take the glove box out. I fitted mine with the Dension Ipod cradle and a Brodit clip so can't help with the other bits sorry.

Yep agree with munchkincoupe, hardest bit was fiddling around trying to get the headunit out.

so basically (without the dock) the wire can be placed into the glove box, where the cd changer would go, but i cant seem to find a slot or hole where the cable can go through.. do i have to cut some sort of hole to do this?, don't have the item yet, just thought i'd see what i was up against lol

Would you consider taking some photos while you install it?? I'm really interested in a Denison Gateway 100 and would like to try and install it myself. What head unit have you got?? Mine's a Concert in a 61 plate Sport.

i have the same- i have a 08 plate with concert.. and if i figure it out il take pics

theres a video on youtube by enfig, if you type in "audi a3 dension gateway 100" it'll come up but he demonstrates on an rns-e headunit which is slightly different. i just cant find some sort of hole to push cables through, hopefully someone replies & il keep you posted mate

I have a dension, I firstly installed it in the glove box had to drill a hole in the corner at the back, but I constantly forgot about my phone left it in there then frantically looking for it. So I eventually relocated it to above the headlight switch and I have a iphone cradle which fits onto the air vent plug it into the bottom charges the phone as just play the songs whenever you want for me personally perfect place. The dension in itself great piece of kit shows song title on the dash and just does what it says on the tin.

Hi mate, i dont have a denison but i installed a connects2 ipod device which i think is similar if not quite as good.

you are correct that there are no holes in the glove box to push the cable through. personally i think you have 2 options here.
1) remove the glove box and drill a hole in it and refit
2) pull the glove box light out of its fixture and run the cable through the hole. it means the glovebox light will just flop around in the glovebox, but there is no drilling or removing involved if you arent keen on making holes in things, and if you ever need to remove when you sell the car on, the light will just pop back in its hole :)

or you can run the cable under the centre console and into the arm rest (if you have one) which is what i plan on doing if i ever get round to it.

i have the same- i have a 08 plate with concert.. and if i figure it out il take pics

theres a video on youtube by enfig, if you type in "audi a3 dension gateway 100" it'll come up but he demonstrates on an rns-e headunit which is slightly different. i just cant find some sort of hole to push cables through, hopefully someone replies & il keep you posted mate

cheers - appreciated

Right had a proper look today at the glove box! i have to say its ridiculous, theres no hole however i have found a sort of "slit", which i doubt anything could be done with it!

you can remove the glove box, i found it quite tricky as i wasnt really using the right sized tool (shut it.) plus you need to make sure you deactivate the passenger airbag as you might accidentally set the sensor off - then you have to take it to the dealers to get the warning light reset. it really is much easier to pull the glove box light through and use the hole left behind to feed the cable through - doesnt look as neat when the glove box is open though - but how often is that?

Thanks- so to deactivate passenger airbag, do i just put my key in & turn to off?

how many bolts or screws not looked at that in detail are their to the glove box?

Thanks- so to deactivate passenger airbag, do i just put my key in & turn to off?

how many bolts or screws not looked at that in detail are their to the glove box?

i cant remember exact procedure but it was something like turn key, start engine, turn it off and start again - its on this forum somewhere though. as long as you have the button illuminated on your centre console you've done it right.

and from memory there are 7 or 8 bolts to get out, not difficult, but you need to get in some awkward positions to get to some of them!

i just put the end of the cable onto the end of a unwound wire coat hanger and feed it through behind the dash and out through the glove box light hole. but i got a bit stuck when the coat hanger got stuck halfway...

i cant remember exact procedure but it was something like turn key, start engine, turn it off and start again - its on this forum somewhere though. as long as you have the button illuminated on your centre console you've done it right.

and from memory there are 7 or 8 bolts to get out, not difficult, but you need to get in some awkward positions to get to some of them!

i just put the end of the cable onto the end of a unwound wire coat hanger and feed it through behind the dash and out through the glove box light hole. but i got a bit

cheers mate sounds tricky but i'll try my best

Can you choose songs on the dension via steering wheel controls and dis?

Chris

i'm not too sure but 2007 2008 A4 Audi iPod adapter with text - Dension GW16AC1 Gateway 100 Part 1 - YouTube if you watch this video he's demonstrating that on an a3 you can see the track playing etc on your cluster & he's using the multifunctional steering wheel to change songs, hes using the scroll on the steering wheel to scan through the albums & then clicking it to select the song to listen to- so it should do :)

cheers mate sounds tricky but i'll try my best

i'm not too sure but 2007 2008 A4 Audi iPod adapter with text - Dension GW16AC1 Gateway 100 Part 1 - YouTube if you watch this video he's demonstrating that on an a3 you can see the track playing etc on your cluster & he's using the multifunctional steering wheel to change songs, hes using the scroll on the steering wheel to scan through the albums & then clicking it to select the song to listen to- so it should do :)

I can see the song playing on the dash and can scroll through the songs but can't see anything on the rns-e it just says track 99 for example. So I have to look at the dash to see what's playing but multi functional works with dension I just use playlists when using dension.

Installation Solisto in A3 SportbackGeoff this details everything you have to do with a different product.. So basically you'll need to take out the glove box to feed the wire through unless you have a bigger hole for some reason & like some other users said you'l probably have to turn off the passenger airbag or you'll hit the sensors; ignore the other bits & also just use the installation guide given with the dension.. the dension box will fit behind the concert headunit- i ordered mine off ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk (.com) not sure: cost me 130quid because ebay didn't have the one i needed which is the GW16AC1 & for the radio keys i ordered them of ebay 1.28 for a set of 4. Hope it helps.. P.S Getting mine fitted tomorrow hopefully with some help from my dad :)

Installation Solisto in A3 SportbackGeoff this details everything you have to do with a different product.. So basically you'll need to take out the glove box to feed the wire through unless you have a bigger hole for some reason & like some other users said you'l probably have to turn off the passenger airbag or you'll hit the sensors; ignore the other bits & also just use the installation guide given with the dension.. the dension box will fit behind the concert headunit- i ordered mine off ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk (.com) not sure: cost me 130quid because ebay didn't have the one i needed which is the GW16AC1 & for the radio keys i ordered them of ebay 1.28 for a set of 4. Hope it helps.. P.S Getting mine fitted tomorrow hopefully with some help from my dad :)

It doesn't look TOO bad - lol

Let me know how you get on with th Denison install - pictures please !!!

Cheers

Geoff

hey iamwhatiam, did you get this installed? out of interest do you know if the dension allows you to select albums without having to get the ipod out of the glove box? i'm looking for something that allows me to control it through the stereo or through the steering wheel? i'm getting a bit tired of my connects2, as its features are so basic :( track names in DIS would be great, but being able to select a different album rather than just skip track, would be awesome to the max.

Hi pleZz I've not had a chance to do mine yet.. But the dension allows you to control your iPod from the stereo however it doesn't tell you what track is playing on the stereo unit, if you have the cluster DIS it will show up on that.. There's a video on YouTube "dension Audi a3" it's by enfig however they have a rnse which allows them to scan playlists, entire iPod, artist & albums which I'm guessing should work with a normal standard stereo unit but I'm not entirely sure

This is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvNqd96uD5o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

thanks dude, i've had a look at a few vids online and what i can gather is that if you have DIS then you can use the steering wheel to change album, artirst, playlist and even search alphabetically - but you have to have DIS for this, and track names will appear there.

unless someone more knowledgeable on here can correct me?

Well ill be fitting mine in very soon - its an expensive unit cost me 130 and il let you know what it shows up as on the actual stereo unit

Finally got round to fitting the dension unit in my car. I managed to remove the glove box but to my finding there were no holes whatsoever to feed the wire through and therefore I left that as it was, didn't want to drill holes in. Instead what I have done is, I have fed the wire through from the drivers side, and rested the cable behind the ashtray.. This way nothing gets damaged also a lot easier to take out when selling the car.. I will post a picture when I get round to it to show where I've put the cable..

And confusion over the whole track display.. My model a3 has no DIS therefore I cannot see what's being played and track name is not shown on stereo - you hold down CD for a few seconds brings up like a cd changer menu from which you control your music.. Everything that plays, the track names are shown on iPod & on stereo it shows for example "track 56"

So here are the pictures that i managed to take.. sorry about the mess in my car not had it cleaned in or out in a while now

This is the way i have fed the wire into the back of the stereo on drivers side

This is where my ipod/iphone will rest

This is what is shown on the stereo
The only problem is now that i can exactly select what track i want to play so i have to click next or previous to go through them 1by1 but i think you can do that if you create a playlist, which i will test. It would also be a good idea to fit an aux in into the dension so you can select the track you want on the ipod. should have done that in first place so il be revisiting that again

Awful image just a reflection but you can kind of make out that on the ipod it shows what track is playing

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I said before I can't select songs only scroll through which is why I made playlists to use and you can only see what the song is called on the Centre display not on rns-e.

I know mate but a lot of people were still confused. So I just wrote about it again.. Its pretty good, the sound quality is really good, works well..did you fit an aux in? And did you manage to fit it in the glovebox?

I know mate but a lot of people were still confused. So I just wrote about it again.. Its pretty good, the sound quality is really good, works well..did you fit an aux in? And did you manage to fit it in the glovebox?

No probs, no just used it with playlist and that's all. I had mine in the glove box but moved it to above the light switch and use a iphone cradle over the air vent cover so it charges also.

hey iamwhatiammomo, if you dont have DIS you wont be able to get full functionality with this unit. can you change tracks with the steering wheel control or do you not have them?

i hate to say this but, if you dont have DIS and track names etc, then the connects2 adapter would have done exactly the same job for you, and its £50. the reason its cheaper is that it doesnt do track names in DIS, or allow you to change albums via the steering wheel!

this is why i'm looking to sell my connects2 and upgrade to the dension.

Didn't know that lol, never mind the dension does it's job. Im getting an s3 in a years time so I guess it's an investment for the future

If you have a dension without the aux - found a tidy app "eQu" that allows you to mess about with equalizer however you like (whether you want more bass etc) and select tracks without playlists directly from the iPhone,iPod touch, iPad.