DSG Issue. Diagnostics?

devilchef1981

Reaction score
Hi all, anyone know where you can get someone to have a look at a DSG gearbox other than Audi? If it has to be Audi, how much does a diagnostic cost? I live in the Birmingham area.

I have ony had the car 2 weeks but i have noticed that change doen from 3rd to 2nd in D seems very jolty, as if it changes down too early. Plus when at a standstill it seems very aggressive before i even touch the accelerator. There has been a couple of occasions where random gear changes feel a bit rough also. It doesnt happen all the time, for instance when i brake harder the gear changes seem normal. wierd. :unsure:

I dont know whether this is me being over protective seeing as ive only had the car a couple of weeks and im paranoid :shrug:

cheers guys, any input would be appreciated!

Mileage? Was the DSG oil and filter changed every 40000?
First thing to check. :search:

Do a dsg calibration, double check the dsg oil change & it included a filter

Yeh the filter was changed at the same time.

How do you do a Dsg calibration? How much does it cost?

Cheers, thanks for your help

A correctly operating DSG box should be silky smooth 99% of the time, but there will be times when the box gets a little confused about what to do next and that is usually when you end up with a rough or dodgy gear change. But occurances like this should be few and far between.

Changing down during acceleration is mostly going to be a bit rough, unless you are in manual mode and apply a little gas to get your revs up before changing down.
But changing down when slowing should be nice and smooth pretty much everytime.

The only way I can cause a jerky change down from 3rd to 2nd in D is by pressing the gas pedal very heavily. This causes the box to think you want to overtake so it changes down. The jerk is because before you hit the gas the DSG box was expecting to change from 3rd to 4th, but because it senses a hard press on the gas pedal it thinks you want to overtake so it changes down instead and needs a split second to release the preselected 4th gear and engage 2nd instead.

If yours is rough at change down when slowing then that doesn't sound right.
Hopefully the person/dealer that sold you the car wasn't trying to shift it because of DSG problems.

Cheers ads, the confusing thing is that its only starting doing it a couple of days ago. Unless I didn't notice it before?

It's not a really big issue at the moment but I don't want it esculating into a bigger one and would rather sort it now if there is indeed a problem.

Might read up more on the calibration if that will help

Cheers ads, the confusing thing is that its only starting doing it a couple of days ago. Unless I didn't notice it before?

It's not a really big issue at the moment but I don't want it esculating into a bigger one and would rather sort it now if there is indeed a problem.

Might read up more on the calibration if that will help

Yeah best to start there. As nigel says, calibration can sort out oddly behaving boxes.

You'd need to either goto a dealer or vcds, either via a vcds owner or buy the kit yourself.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/6-Speed_Direct_Shift_Gearbox_(DSG/02E)

Has anyone done this and noticed an improvement?

I've been thinking of doing but am worried of doing something incorrectly

A3 has 38k miles and DSG oil and filter were done at 37k miles along with service.

The new injectors for the TDI 2.0 170 recall have made the stop start changes smoother somehow

So then, dealer aside, I need to "appeal" for anyone who has said vcds device and are willing to help?

I do travel a fair bit with my job so location aint an issue most of the time

Has anyone done this and noticed an improvement?

I've been thinking of doing but am worried of doing something incorrectly

A3 has 38k miles and DSG oil and filter were done at 37k miles along with service.

The new injectors for the TDI 2.0 170 recall have made the stop start changes smoother somehow

I did this myself on my 07 2.0tfsi,I didnt have any problems with the box, just wanted to see if it would have any effect. The change was quite noticable. gear changes were even smoother than before and it had less hickups where it ididnt know what to do.
Also the car sat at idle in D with the foot brake on and didnt feel like it was trying to pull off.
Im in coventry so could possibly help. PM Me if interested.

So then, dealer aside, I need to "appeal" for anyone who has said vcds device and are willing to help?

I do travel a fair bit with my job so location aint an issue most of the time

I did this myself on my 07 2.0tfsi,I didnt have any problems with the box, just wanted to see if it would have any effect. The change was quite noticable. gear changes were even smoother than before and it had less hickups where it ididnt know what to do.
Also the car sat at idle in D with the foot brake on and didnt feel like it was trying to pull off.

I live in the North East. Always happy to help :)

Cheers m8, I am in fact descending into Newcastle on Monday. Failing that if rickypj is willing help, i live in south Birmingham.

Thanks for your offers guys

That's interesting and many thanks fo rthe offer.

I'm actually in Dublin so the ferry over could be tricky!

I have a VCDS and I will attempt this at the weekend.

How long did it take you and would you have any advice on do's and don't etc?

cheers

tallpaultaylor's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

That's interesting and many thanks fo rthe offer.

I'm actually in Dublin so the ferry over could be tricky!

I have a VCDS and I will attempt this at the weekend.

How long did it take you and would you have any advice on do's and don't etc?

cheers

tallpaultaylor's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I followed the instructions found on the Ross tech website. Search dsg adaption.
Just make sure you keep your foot on the brake during the whole process. It's pretty easy and only takes 5-10 mins. Let us know how you get on
Cheers