Strange Clutch Slip Issue

Nilz

Defo worth the wait :)
Reaction score
Hey guys, noticed that my brakes went quite spongy last week, so I did a brake fluid change, after pressure bleeding it still felt quite spongy until Jojo mentioned that the Master Cylinder needed bleeding too, so this was done and it made a big difference.......

Anyhow...what I noticed was last week since the brakes went spongy the clutch started to slip, it literally came on all of a sudden.

I tested it on the Mway in 6th gear under load and you could see the revs rising, but no power, then all of a sudden it catches and picks up - however, since we have bled the Master Cylinder, whilst driving the car home I checked to see if the clutch ws still slipping again, but it didnt seem like it was, I will test again tomorrow on the Mway again, but could there be some sort of link or anything to cause and also stop the clutch from slipping after bleeding the MC?

Any thoughts/ideas would be much appreciated please...

Oh and the car is an AMK S3 and I believe its on its original clutch at 130k.

Thanks in advance.
Nilz

Coincidence mate,bleeding the brakes wont affect the clutch,so it sounds like the clutch is failing but at 130k its done well!

You could try bleeding the clutch itself !
There's a nipple on top of the gearbox
Change the master cylinder 1st it's the cheapest option of the two
As the slave, is gearbox out
Then you might as well spank a new clutch in too if you slowly burning it out

If you let the fluid level go too low when bleeding the brakes then you can introduce air to the clutch as its fed from the brake reservoir...

Worth bleeding them tbh as they use the same fluid and if it was crap for the brakes then it will be no better for the clutch...

That said... air in the clutch hydraulics shouldn't make the clutch slip...

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the replies so far, it was wierd as when we went to empty the old brake fluid, it was up to its normal level, it didnt drop at all, so not sure what happened there with the brakes.

So do you think the first thing to do is to bleed the clutch?

Cool, thanks dude, will give it a go and see what happens.

if you did allow air to enter the clutch master you would have a vague /spongy pedal and also would have problems changing gear and you would not get any slip of the clutch if it was a good working one ...

I had a very similar problem. Would come and go. Got the clutch changed in the end with the dual mass and all is fine now!

Your car has done very well at 130k! mine had to be changed when i got it at 63k.