TDI 140 QUESTION

LEW1S.W

Reaction score
Hi guys, pretty new on here joined a few months ago and have been reading recently as i have bought my 1st audi its an 04 tdi 140. i have to say for a car thats nearly 8 years old with 73k on it its great and im enjoying it. i went out tonight and noticed the glow plug light is flashing while driving, switched engine off and on a few times an i keeps flashing, even when the ignition is on and the engine off. any ideas to what this could be or does it mean taking it somewhere to plug it into a computer which usually costs a fortune just to tell ou whats wrong!!

Brake lights?? Sorry dont understand how that would make the glow plug light flash on my dash?? Please explain...

Where abouts in the country are you? There's plenty of people on here who have the right software and leads to help you out!

Im in glasgow mate. I will check the brake lights in the morning. If that fails any help would be great

Brake lights are working And the glow plug light is still flashing this morning...any ideas?

Maybe it's time to change your glow plugs?

Well after about a half hour drive this morning the flashing stopped and has remained off so far, so hopefully no more issues. I will look into changing glow plugs soon

Scan it with VCDS before you splash out on a set of new glow plugs. The flashing glow plug light on the dash could mean a number of things and not necessarily a problem with the glow plugs!

is that for the whole set? i have an electrical error on 2 cylinders on my car flagged up in VCDS, can't remember if it was the injector leads or the glow plugs... need to check again.

how hard is it to replace?

get genuine ones not from GSF i did mine not long ago for under £50 for a set

dont think glow plugs being open circuit can make the glow plug light flash.
yes it registers as a fault code in the ecu but it doesnt put the light on. only something important makes it flash!

its something else.
even if the lights not on atm, get it fault code read. it could be anything from the brake light switch (even if the lights are working... the switch has two functions.) to a throttle body fault.
throttle bodies filling with oil and blowing the fuse for it and the fan actuation circ. is quite common on these bkd engines.

Thanks murran, i will try and get it read. Coincinentally one of my brake light bulbs has now blown but dont suppose its linked. The glow plug light seems to be coming on and off intermitently.