A4 115 PD TDI

Need help on this. My father has a 2000 A4 TDI 115PD. It only ever does short distances and mainly around town. It has a full Audi services history and no problems have ever shown up during the service. Recently however it seems to be getting really low on power and is very unresponsive. Trying to get away on a round about can very dicey. It isn't blowing any white smoke to suggest the turbo is blown.
Is the fact it probably never warms up properly causing this and will a good long thrash using a lot of revs do any good

I read in Audi Driver magazine that taking the car on a run for about 4-5 minutes at over 4000 rpm, and then giving it a good bit of welly clears out soot particles from the cats. Running the car at over 4000 rpm gets the cats hot enough and then giving it a good blast through will clear out the soot. It may be that the cats are blocked and restricting proper exhausting. You should see decent amounts of black smoke come out when you give it welly with the cats nice and warm, and then it should clear up a bit after that. May be worth a try.

[ QUOTE ]
Need help on this. My father has a 2000 A4 TDI 115PD. It only ever does short distances and mainly around town. It has a full Audi services history and no problems have ever shown up during the service. Recently however it seems to be getting really low on power and is very unresponsive. Trying to get away on a round about can very dicey. It isn't blowing any white smoke to suggest the turbo is blown.
Is the fact it probably never warms up properly causing this and will a good long thrash using a lot of revs do any good

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a similar problem and need a new MAF sensor. To test it disconnect the MAF and go for a drive you will loose all the power, but the car will drive smoother. This was the error I got after checking with VAG.COM

1 Fault Found:
17552 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Open or Short to Ground
P1144 - 35-00 - -
Readiness: N/A

If you can get someone with the VAG.COM cable and a laptop they will be able to tell you. Hope this helps

Or buy one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30921&item=7970181895&rd=1

I pretty new to diagnostics and I don't have access to a VAG.com system. Will the OBD11 reader you recommend do the same thing. Also I have a 99 A6 1.8T, will the OBD 11 reader work on the A6 as well.

just a small point but you need to check for fault codes before driving with your MAF disconnected or you will the fault code listed as this means the MAF is unpluged/wiring fault

Hi

We have also have a 1993 Audi 100 tdi (5 cylinders) which the wife uses a lot for the school run and hasn't been on a long run for ages. I was horrified the other day when I took it out to find that it was flat as and wouldn't rev over 3000 revs.Immediately thought about air flow meter ect....
All it took was a few long trips with a lead right boot on and its now perfect (touch wood) now even with it's 350 000 km's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

Jason

Turned out is was the MAF sensor after-all.
Got a new one and things are back to normal.
Thanks for the help

028 906 461X is the number on the receipt form tha Audi garage. hope this helps

Yup, that's the number but no X on the end - I'm looking at the old one now.
See the other thread about how replacing the MAF transformed the car.

The X may indicate that enda was sold an exchange unit. They started doing them a year or two back. The exchange units are ~£80 compared to over £200 for a brand new MAF

Dave

[ QUOTE ]
The X may indicate that enda was sold an exchange unit. They started doing them a year or two back. The exchange units are ~£80 compared to over £200 for a brand new MAF

[/ QUOTE ]
Today's price of a MAF is far less than that. Audi reduced the price so you should be able to buy a new one up for rather less than the cost you quoted for an exchange.