Annoying rattle!

clockwork.satan

Vorsprung Durch Yer Maw
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My A4 has developed an annoying rattle/noise in the interior, but I can't for the life of me figure out what's causing it, so I'm hoping that someone else has experienced it before.

The rattle in question seems to happen when the weather is cold/frosty and it would appear to be coming from the top of the dashboard near the windscreen OR perhaps from within the dashboard - I can't tell!! Every single bump I go over causes this annoying loud crack of a noise/rattle to happen, meaning that I have to turn the tunes up loud so that it doesn't drive me crazy!

Has anyone else had this happen before? And (more importantly) what causes it and is there a fix to it?

Mines got a rattle too. Ive worked it out to be the centre console, the panel to the left of the stereo where the glovebox meets the centre console. If I hold it the rattle stops but this isnt very practical whilst driving! I've tried taking the glovebox out and sticking some adhesive foam to the side of it to try and push the 2 panels together but this hasnt stopped the rattle. Not sure if yours is the same rattle but its worth a shot?

Thanks for replying, Alpesh.

I'll check out the glovebox tomorrow - which sounds like a likely place that the rattle/noise might be coming from. I'll let you know!

Well, I had a go at pushing and prodding the glovebox as I was rumbling over the particularly rough roads of Edinburgh this morning, but to no avail.

That noise is definitely coming from the top of the dashboard near the windscreen. It goes away when the temperature goes above five degrees cent. so I guess I'll just have to deal with it. Blargh!

I'm getting exactly the same thing with by B7 in the cold, sounds like it's either from the dashboard or around the top of the windscreen (although I'm not sure what would be rattling up there!). It may just be the sound bouncing off the windscreen though.

Clockworksatan: i have the exact same rattle in mine and have narrowed it down to where the dash meets the windscreen. If u stuff paper between the two the rattle should stop. Thats how i found mine. I have since taken the paper out and the rattle has returned. I must get some silicone spray between the two and see if that fixes it!

Aaaah, that's EXACTLY where my spidey senses are telling me where it's coming from! I'll try the paper trick and see if that works!

Hi, was just lookin around and seen this(I'm normally on the b5 forum)
Wife has a 1.9 tdi b7 with the same rattle. I have pinned down to the air vent on the top of the dash. When looking at it there is a small lump (that looks like it should be a button), and when pressure is applied the rattle stops.

Might sound daft but i had rattles from the same general area. Turned out to be the door seals. When they dry out or are new they make a noise like a rattle. try some light silicon grease or vaseline or the like and see if that helps. And I mean on the doors before anyone chucks their jokes in lol