After market amp and sub

timboukvw

Reaction score
Hi, have been searching the net on how to connect this into an 8l s3

I have a sub and an amp that I would like to replace the broken sub that farting away in the boot. Any way I can keep stock concert head unit and wire this into the car and only do away with the oem sub?

Cheers guys for ur help

Andy mac does a lovely stealth sub if you don't want to much punch and fits in the original position, he's also the best man for your answer as ge knows these inside out for audio ;)

Isit Bose or non Bose? In my old Bose a3 I use the existing amp, routed speaker cable to my sub and it worked amazingly well. Now I have a stealth sub as boot space is alot to me

If it's Bose then you can pick up the feeds from the look that plugs into the Bose sub, this has the left & right pre-outs and remote on feed. You can't use the power feed as this is only 5 amps, so you need to run a new fused power cable from the battery.
If it's non Bose then by disconnecting the stock sub you will also lose the amp powering the rear speakers so you either need to extract the amp from inside the sub and keep it connected or use a 4ch amp - 2ch's for sub and 2ch's for the rears
The pinouts for both connectors can be found here:
http://freepdfhosting.com/37841f9301.pdf
You will need to solder thin blades to the ends of an RCA cable in order to plug into either connector to avoid cutting any of the wiring.

what size is the sub in the boot? if its a case of remove sub put new one in plus power lead could it be put back in the original sub box? as i have a farting sub but want to keep my boot space for the buggy :)

20100630_IMG_6755.jpg

20100630_IMG_6757.jpg

20100630_IMG_6767.jpg

20100630_IMG_6771.jpg

20100630_IMG_6772.jpg

Andy Mac Stealth Sub ftw :)

<tuffty/>

You will need to solder thin blades to the ends of an RCA cable in order to plug into either connector to avoid cutting any of the wiring.

I made my own cable that can simply be plugged into the original stereo plug and doesn't require any soldering to the plug:

img2011041600034222222.jpg

I did post it up when i did it but no one seemed interested :(

I made my own cable that can simply be plugged into the original stereo plug and doesn't require any soldering to the plug:

img2011041600034222222.jpg

I did post it up when i did it but no one seemed interested :(

I can't find your post?? L

I'm loking for info on what pins I need to use on the Bose connector and where to get those diddy pins from on the other end of the RCA cable.

Ta!

Thanks Andy - the pic is for the sub connector rather than the amp connector right? Am I OK to leave this disconnected if I'm no longer using the OEM sub so I can get access to these pins?

The pic is for the loom that plugs into the sub amp (inside the tupperware enclosure). Yes of course you can leave it unconnected

The pic is for the loom that plugs into the sub amp (inside the tupperware enclosure). Yes of course you can leave it unconnected

Thanks Andy

I'm guessing that's for non-Bose as I ripped it out over the weekend and the tupperware box has only the sub (read mid-range) speaker and a 4 pin connector.

Is it possible to connect to the Bose wiring to get the pre-outs without hacking into cables?

No as it says it is for the Bose sub (for the 8L chassis) as we are in the 8L section, thought you had an 8P Nige?
Completely different setup in the 8P, the sub is driven by the 6ch Bose amp on the drivers side of the boot
And if there was a way to do it without hacking into cables then don't you think that would be what I would recommend?
You can use the amplified feed on the 4 pin connector at the sub via the speaker input on your amp (if it has one), this will provide a readily distorted signal for your sub amp, but you still have to hack the remote on for the amp
For the 8L it is easy as everything you need is on the plug

Thanks Andy, I haven't spotted the 8L section as I found this thread via the forum search.

I'll take a look tomorrow night.

Hey people... Sorry to bring up an old thread. Reading this has confirmed that by using the line out put for the rear into my mono block will disable me the use of my rear speakers... Is there no work around for this? Like use a rca splitter ? Am I gonna need a new amp =(