For anyone who may be driving in France from July 2012 onwards

Helifella

Co-Driver ~ Hattie
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
New French legislation has been passed that requires drivers in France to carry a breathalyser. The legislation comes into effect on 1[SUP]st[/SUP] July and requires drivers to carry in the car a personal breathalyser. There will be an amnesty until November after which if you are caught without one it will carry an 11 euro automatic fine.

Personal breathalysers now law in France - Latest car stories - MSN Cars UK

Apparently it is also now against the law in France to use a device which warns you of the location of speed cameras. When I updated my Sat Nav it removed all the GPS camera positions for France.

PHONING AT THE WHEEL From Jan. 3rd 2012, drivers caught using a mobile phone while on the road in France
are liable to an on-the-spot fine of
130 Euros – and 3 penalty points if they have a French driving licence.

There is no indication on the interpretation regarding hands free devices.

When I drive to Germany it takes me 20 minutes through France. What a stupid law...
Can't coppers afford one themselves?

Thats what I thought. I don't touch a drop when driving especially when abroad so a waste of money when I can catagorically say I haven't touched a drop!

I can understand their block on camera location knowledge (obviously not getting enough money out the cameras) but to have your own tester!!

Also as was pointed out on Top Gear last night, the legislation is flawed if the French cops actually want people to use their breathalysers. In reality you'd have to carry at least 2 around with you everywhere - one to breathalyse yourself before driving home after a pint of kronenbourg, and another in reserve in case the cops then pull you over on the way home.