need help for parts required for mfsw

audiA3Noob

Reaction score
Hi guys, im an ex mechanic so im hoping i can upgrade the wheel without much difficulty, my mate has vag-com so i can code it all, its the parts im unsure of, could someone please tell me which i would need to change?
i have a december 54 plate A3 with the 3 spoke dual stage airbag and cruise control, i believe i may have to change the steering control unit, not sure about the slip ring,
the scan shows the steering as this,
Address 16: Steering wheel Labels: 8P0-953-549.lbl
Part No SW: 8P0 953 549 A HW: 8P0 953 549 A
Component: Lenksäulenmodul H14 0010
Coding: 0000042

Shop #: WSC 06314 000 00000
VCID: 3C72A0D67F70879
what would i need to alter to make the mfsw work as it should, i have the audi bluetooth installed aswell so i want to be able to control the lot from the wheel.
i would also love it if some could tell me the part number for the airbag harness.
hope you can help!
and thanks in advance.

you will need to upgrade your steering control module and probably the slip ring as well

the part numbers you need are
Slip ring: 1K0 959 653 D
Steering ECU: 8P0 953 549 E or 8P0 953 549 F
Airbag harness: 8P0 971 589 Q

Excellent, Thankyou, what sort of price are these bits?
And will there be any calibrating that would need doing after the upgrade?

well the steering wheel controller varies, i have bought some at £40 but seen some at £100... i think you can get it from TPS for about £130
for the slip ring i have no idea
the airbag harness is £25 from Audi

as for calibration yes you would need to do a calibration reset on the steering angle sensor. look it up on ross-tech for instructions

Hi, welcome to ASN. I see the guys are helping you out already. Enjoy the forum. :)

Cheers, ive called audi and TPS and both prices are identical,
The steering cu is the f variant now and the harness has been superceded to ad
I've seen some on eBay, so ill have to keep looking,
Can you use vw parts, i know the first 3 letters are different, but just wondering?

thanks for all you help guys but after working out the costs of everything im going to leave it for a while, i really didnt realise it would cost as much, plus even though ive experience with cars ive never played around with airbags and slip rings so id have to get my mate to do it for me as hes more up to date, BUT hes also admitted hes never used vag com for coding anything, he only uses it for fault finding, so ill have to find a garage to code it for me. but its going to be a while yet.
thanks again everyone!

There are a few members of this here forum that will be able to do this for you for a very reasonable price (depending one your location).
Dannykn9 did mine (Hertfordshire area). Great service - I can't recommend him enough :)

Good luck with doing this in the future, well worth it in my mind, I ended up getting another control module, as mine was a 1k0 but my slip rig was right. Typically tho the first mfsw I bought was wrong for my airbag, so beware, it may look right, but there are two types of square airbags. I now have a spare mfsw kicking around! If you get the parts around you, it's a half our job for install, I did the cruise at the same time. Good luck!