HALDEX 4wd to Fwd - How?

MikeMGS

Reaction score
How Do People, VW Brother needing help...

I've got a Rolling Road day coming up that I've been invited to last minute by a mate, unfortunately it's a 2wd rolling road so I'm gonna have to 'switch off' the rear of my R /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I've been told by another mate that at a previous event there were some S3's that were running Fwd due to the removal of a specific fuse to the rear dif.

Can anyone point me in the direction as to which one, a picture would be even better? Or even let me know if this is wrong?

Any help is much appreciated as I really don't want to drive it through the back wall of the place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks in advance,
Leon.

There was a recent thread of this exact thing and the person (Cage i think) ended up with a large bill after disabling his rear wheel drive for a RR session.

So yes it is possible. But on evidence it would seem its not recommended.

I'll have a search and try to find the link for you.

When ive been at RR days at JBS they have disabled systems on a number of VAG cars and they all performed ok,

jedi - i hadnt read the end of the thread - just have and happy to hear about the good ending albeit a bit late!!./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

but here is the link anyway for ya blackpoolr32 click me

cheers

even haldex have been heard to say dont run 2wd mode on the rolling road.

i wouldnt do it(and havent) for this reason.

I've definitely heard of the haldex malfunctioning after being put in 2wd for a Rolling road. Something about parts burning out or something, as they're not powered??? Very vague memory

Hmmm, possibly best missing this and waiting a month then for the Well Lane Rolling road day.

I'll have a read of the thread anyway (Thanks IanL-S3) and see what's involved.

Thanks for all your help Guy's and any more vews or info (Horror Stories) is much appreciated.

In a bit,
Leon.

As said above, I would recomend that you didn't pull the fuse in case it leads to problems and find a 4 Wheel RR.

Hope this helps
Rich.

I was at one of the rolling roads last year, where the mech pull the fuse without me knowing. :-0
I paniced a little, when I noticed my rears weren't turning!!!
However, I haven't had any problems, but, after the stories I've heard since I wouldn't bother taking the risk.

there is a fuse for it, shouldnt think it would cause any problems as all it does is control an electronic clutch to transmit torque to the rears - but you never know, it may also operate fluid pumps etc that cool the system which could cause the burning out.

Best bet is to ring AMD or such like to ask their opinion.

Yep, just so happens there's a RR coming up in a few week that I can tag along to now so all the better.

[ QUOTE ]
Best bet is to ring AMD or such like to ask their opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never thought of that actually but that's a damn good idea, I'll give them a ring 2moro and let you know their views on it.

Thanks again people, saved me some potential damage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

In a bit,
Leon.

sure haldex said that even with it disconnected, the prop is still turning into the haldex and torque from the prop causes drag in the oil.

problems arise when the rear wheels cant rotate like they would do on the open road

Well the official word from AmD is a huge "NO". Inhaling through the teeth and everything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've swapped places with my bro now so he's rolling his Volvo 850, not the racers choice but saves me loosing my £10 deposit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

That's for your help guys,

Take it easy.
Leon.