panel filter

jonny87

Reaction score
im sure this would have been covered before but after alot of searching and even more trawling i couldnt find anything :(

anyway, panel filters (k&n, piper cross etc) are they worth the £35+ they cost?

I'm not looking for an extra 10bhp and 30nm's here, better throttle response and a bit more of an induction roar would be nice though, so whats everyones opinion?

I had a pipercross on my old 2.5tdi, thought it sounded a bit better but I have a sensitive ear.

Fitted the exact same one on my 3.0tdi this weekend and the difference is minimal to be honest. I also removed what I believe to be a 'snow filter' as it seemed really restrictive. As I'm planning on having the DPF removed and the EGR banked out I figured allowing more air into the engine (and creating minimal restriction of air through all through the engine) could only do good...

Not heard one on a petrol but imagine any noise difference would be slightly more noticeable due to the quieter engine.

Not used a K&N but apparently if you're not careful with the oil they can ruin MAFs...

Not worth it in my experience. No gain in power and they get dirty quicker.
Stick with the standard paper filter and change regularly.

Reactions: rob0904
Not too sure about performance, but it makes it sound better. My A4 was fitted with a K&N panel when I bought it, dont think the thing had ever been cleaned, it was full of sh**e. The K&N uses oil to trap dirt and coats the MAF in oil which is a bad thing. Spent ages removing my airbox and MAF carefully cleaning it and removing all the grease from it. I now have a dry pipercross filter on it. To be honest a paper one is perfectly sufficient. Don't go down the cone filter route either because that just draws hot air in you engine bay.

thanks for your thoughts and experience guys, i had a panel filter on my old s3 but never noticed any difference really

i know to steer clear of k&n due to the oil, not seen the location of the maf on my a4 yet but where ever it is i cba removing it to clean it every few months

maybe i'll try a pipercross for now and see how it goes, can always flog it on afterwards. I'd never have an induction kit unless it was a bma enclosed jobber but theyre mega bucks :( would match my carbon splitter though... ;)

i have a new green panel in the wraper £30 posted if your intrested its all part of the stage 1 kit

Panel filter does nothing for sound or noise ! I had a pipercross panel filter did nothing stick with the std item mate and save your cash.
I have changed to BSR induction kit which comes with heat shield enclosure so no heat soak issues and sounds awsome but still no power gains just sounds faster lol

Here is a pic of my airbox dismantled, I can't remember exactly where the MAF sensor is without having the thing in front of me, I can remember that it was held in with security torx screws though.

6819096290_ae5f127bfd_b.jpg

ah the good old heat soak argument, what ive been told in the past and believe is that, when moving at speed (10mph+) the hot air is pushed out of the engine bay towards the rear of the car, the air box induction kit or whatever will get a decent amount of fresh cold air entering the bay from the front of the car.

only at low speeds or a standstill will it take in hot air, ive only looked at a glance at the airbox but it seems to me that audi fitted a fairly effective cold air feed to the air box.

so the question is, whos r&d is better audis or the likes of k&n or pipercross, i know who my money is on :)

because i was talking about heat soak there which wasnt my question at all.

i did kind of answer my own question with the r&d thing but i was still asking for other peoples opinions and experiences, which they gave so thanks to all