1.8t sport springs 1996 A4

gandalf

Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
Not 100% yet on Tuesday - may take the wife. will let you know once Ive decided

[/ QUOTE ]

Take your wife??? Have you seen the crumpet that gets in there? Posh drunk totty. Very nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nono.gif

Hello,

A while back I posted about a creaky spring. My mechanic was convinced the creak (which it didnt do all the time) was from the lower arms and ball joints. So after replacing both of these the creak came back. I mean this creak is loud, with the car stopped (when its doing the creak) if you rock the car
it sounds like an old bed creak, creak,creak.......

One day when it seemed to be creaking I had the mechanic come over so he could hear it for himself. He came over and said it could only be coming from the spring . So he removed the spring and noticed that the plastic coating on he spring was breaking away and thought this might be where the creak was coming from. He then greased it up and put it back. For what its worth when the car is creaking, if you simply jack the front drivers wheel of the ground and let it down the creak disappears. So there was no creak for 3 months and now its back!

I have two questions.

1. could this be a corroded spring?
2. My boot sticker shows 1BE which I understand to be sports suspension. Can i get this spring from somewhere other than audi who want £85 each! and I assume I need two to keep the car in good order?

Thanks for any advice.

Brian

How much are the 'Sportline' springs for the Quattros Jase?

Eibach don't appear to have Sportline for the 1.8TQ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

The prokit though is £150+vat (RRP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

I'll check up with them about the sportline next week!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

not its a fwd, i got mine off ebay but plenty of places sell them, i think they are around £300 for the adjustable ones.

Not for the Quattros they don't... I've looked everywhere.

You'd think there would be plenty but not so it seems...

I think H&R do a set and then there's the Eibach Proline which are rubbish. There is no Sportline for the Quattros either it seems.

E-bay has returned NOTHING for the search term 'Audi Spax' or vice versa on a Worldwide search. Maybe you were just lucky.

I'll keep looking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Cheers

Tim

Tim - don't tell me Eibach are crap - just had some of their springs installed on my car..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Guess I will find out when I drive it.

Greg

[ QUOTE ]
Tim - don't tell me Eibach are crap - just had some of their springs installed on my car..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Guess I will find out when I drive it.

Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Greg, didn't mean to poo-poo on the party /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

I'm only going on what I've read from a few guys who've fitted them... They're bound to be better than the OE springs (otherwise why would they be 'uprated'!?) but reports definately suggest that they don't actually lower the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Let us know how it drives...

Although I imagine you'll be so busy grinning at the turbo power you won't be too bothered about the rest! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers

Tim

[ QUOTE ]
Greg - Eibach Sportlines are the ones you want if you want a lower more aggressive look as well as improved handling. The Pro series seem to only lower the car a max of 30mm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eibach don't offer Sportlines for the Quattros... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

And you'll be lucky to get a 30mm drop from the Prolines. I'd say 20mm Max.

If that...

It's not really a great idea to lower a car that much on standard (worn?) shocks anyway, they'll fail in no time.

T

This is starting to sound better - I am happy for the car to look standardish - just want better handling.

Will know on Thursday either way....

Cheers,

Greg

[ QUOTE ]
How come none of you have thought of trying H&R there excellent and they do the range of the A4's if I'm correct.

Also after talking to FK while in Austria they advised me that they do springs that you can order custom as, like me I need springs to match up to the RS4 setup I have and the current spring will be of no use for my car being so much lighter.

[/ QUOTE ]

David,

Very interesting indeed... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Do you have any contact details or some pointers toward a way of ordering said 'custom' springs?

I think there are a few people who would be interested in some lower springs than the general, run-of-the-mill lowering heights (20, 25, 30mm)

I like the FK range a lot, they seem to have a very good pedigree and an awesome product there. Very good range too. Silverlines are the way forward I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cheers

Tim