Sump Oil Leak??

gash

Reaction score
Hi guys

Picked up my 2001 plate s3 a couple of weeks ago and have been worried that there is a very slight oil leak.

When i look underneath the car i can see a slight fester of oil at what looks like the sump gasket, has any one got any ideas as to what this might be or where the oil is coming from?

Cheers

As said its tough to sayt without pics but if it is leaking around the sump then now coukld be the ideal opportunity for you to remove - refit and do your oil pick up pipe too. there is a guide in the stickies which i followed when doing mine and it is quite straightforward.

As said its tough to sayt without pics but if it is leaking around the sump then now coukld be the ideal opportunity for you to remove - refit and do your oil pick up pipe too. there is a guide in the stickies which i followed when doing mine and it is quite straightforward.

Cheers for the advice.

I will get a pic and post in here.

My mate that is a mechanic said it may be the oil pick up pipe, I guess the best thing to do would be get it up on a ramp and have a look.

In the mean time just keep a eye on the oil level.

Cheers for the advice.

I will get a pic and post in here.

My mate that is a mechanic said it may be the oil pick up pipe, I guess the best thing to do would be get it up on a ramp and have a look.

In the mean time just keep a eye on the oil level.

The leak will not be anything to do with the pick up pipe. However while it's in bits it's worth changing yours for the future health of the engine

Yeah if your taking the sump off to fix the leak the Pick up pipe costs less than £10 form the stealers so its a no brainer not to replace it. You also get the sump sealent from audi which is the stuff to use for a good seal.

Maybe its been changed by the previous owner and the sump was refitted badly hence the leak.

I just had my sump removed and cleaned along with pick up....now have an oil leak...so thats £50 worth of oil down the drain as I now need to remove the sump again, reapply the sealant and refit. Needless to say, I'll be doing it myself this time!