1.9TDi (130) Avant - New Member

IanFM

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have owned the car for a while now but have just signed up here and I am ready to do some work on it.

First up a few maintenance issues that need addressed first:

Major Service - Going to do this myself
Front Discs & Pads - Another DIY job with a little help from a friend (who happens to be a member here)
Timing belt and water pump - one for the local audi indy I think
Aircon service - local indy again

Minor repairs required but not desperate

New glovebox/lid (hinge broken -dodgy fix)
Rear light cluster (currently cracked)
Replacement windscreen wiper linkage (stripped it down due to seizing and cracked a mounting when reinstalling)

Planned Upgrades (order undecided yet):

Remap
HID's
Parking Sensors
New wheels
Front Armrest

I will keep you up to date on progress.

Any other suggestions for sensible upgrades to add to the list.

Have the same engined 1.9tdi (130) and am cleaning the EGR and turbo next week so will update here with pics. Have also developed a boost leak tester and have a prototype so will have a finished product by next week so will also make that available to other members as took a long time to source all the parts! Can be made for S3, 1.8t, Tdis, RS4, S4 etc etc

If your handy with a spanner do the cam belt your self follow the instructions and you can't go wrong I'm doing mine this Sunday

The hardest part is bumper removal

About time you posted a thread on here :think:, although I am worried that you will involve/blame me to some degree in the upgrades.........:lmfao:

I have a spare wiper linkage so you can tick that one off, although I have noted that you didn't mention the parrot kit that we are supposed to be doing tomorrow.....:thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum mate....:beerchug:

If any of the upgrades don't go to plan I am fairly sure my standard line will be "it wasn't me! a big boy did it and ran away" while firmly pointing elbows at you.

Ideal that you have a spare wiper linkage I'm sure we can reach an agreement on that :beerchug:

OH yeah and will be installing a parrot 3200-ls tomorrow with a little help from a friend :arco:

Well that's the Parrot installed with a lot of help from a friend (thanks Steve). What a marathon that was.... Better part of 4.5 hrs due to the quirks of buying a second hand kit and the lack of a switched live, then the switched live to the climate control not providing enough juice!

We got there in the end mate, more than happy to help out.....

The brakes will be a lot easier and cheers for giving m a lovely S4 start up logo on my RNS-E......

You guys and this forum are a bad influence on me lol

The more I read the more mods I add to my to do list. Currently thinking about adding RS4 RARB and lowering springs!

Not yet but coming soon hopefully!

Current likely order

1) Brakes and Service
2) Timing belt, water pump and air con service
3) Remap
4) HIDs, LEDs and replacement rear light clusters

The rest I am unsure about at this stage but basically as and when funds/parts become available.

Replacement rear light clusters arrived this morning. Used but mint condition. Pics to follow soon.

As jbcalvin can confirm they are absolutely mint condition I am well chuffed.

Not fitted them yet but:

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

Drivers side is cracked where some idiot (me) reversed it into a bollard. It is still perfectly usable just trying to get the car into as close to mint condition as possible. Will be sticking them up for sale in the classifieds once I have removed them from the car!

The new lights are now on the car and I will get pics up once the car is clean and the weather drier but they are looking good!

I did have a little scare when I dropped one of the retaining bolts dropped down inside the boot trim but was recovered successfully with a magnet!

Well looks like tomorrow is the first of a few big days for my car over the next few months.

On the cards for tomorrow is:

New discs and pads on the front
Full service
Turbo clean
Remap

Looking forward to tomorrow mate, my driveway is going to be very busy the next few weekends I think......

Service, turbo clean and re-map for me as well tomorrow......

So then weekend on the whole went well one hiccup when it wouldn't start after the fuel filter change but after a bit of persuasion it is running again and man is it running sweet.

So Successfully completed this weekend:

2 full services (Oil change + oil, diesel air and pollen filters)
2 Mr Muscle Turbo Cleans
1 Set of front discs and pads replaced
1 set of front callipers painted hammerite black
1 EGR Valve cleaned
3 Cars remapped
A bit of VCDS coding

All in all a successful weekend! :beerchug:

Apart from the issue with the air block in your engine, and the sudden loss of my DIS functions, twas a very successful weekend......

Now we know what we are doing, next time should be a *LOT* faster........

Thanks turk!

Effects of the remap and/or service

Car idles much smoother
Pulls much better & is just a pleasure to drive

Both of these are subjective however last week I averaged 50.6MPG not bad, yesterday after the weekend work i averaged 55.8MPG driving it as normal and today I went on a bit of an economy drive and managed 58.3MPG and it took me less than an extra 2mins on my 45min commute to work!!! :arco:

Any photos of how you did your turbo clean? Did you get in there by disconnecting the exhaust or down through the EGR?

I want to do this but not sure about removing the exhaust nuts as they look a little rusty.

I'm afraid we didn't take any pics.

Went in from the exhaust side and my mate who did it from the egr side thought it was easier from the exhaust side.

One of the nuts is pretty awkward to get to but can be done. It's much easier if you remove the air box and egr valve gives you a chance to clean them out while they are off as well.

Cool thread, funny how 1.9tdi owners face all the same issues! Did you manage to sell the rear lights? I'm looking for a replacement n/s avant cluster (though on a budget!).

Sorry stu yeah still got the lights make me an offer for one in my classified ad and I'll see what we can do!

So been away for a while due to work and moving house etc but at last got round to changing the wheels over. Love the matt black look but feel it now needs black roof rails and tinted windows. Anybody blackend the roof rails themselves if so what did you use?Uploadfromtaptalk1357821988934 sorry about the quality of the pic I will upload some better ones soon.

It's getting more common to plasti dip all car related things like roof rails. I've seen good stuff from other members who have done grills and window surrounds etc.

Random question, but don't suppose you have your old rear lights do you?

Well, i'm actually after just a small bit of rubber that I believe is at the top of the lights?

Basically, I have this part missing. So, I have been looking for ages for a damaged light that has it attached, but I just looked and saw that it's your drivers side that was damaged :( Balls.

0c313c15.jpg

Hmm, I have that on an old cracked rear light that i was going to throw out..

Another update....

Its been a reluctant starter recently with these cold morning and I have been getting the red break warning on startup that goes away after about 10 secs so new battery fitted tonight so will see how it goes tomorrow morning.

While I was at it I fitted new led rear number plate bulbs.

Before
Uploadfromtaptalk1358888805998

Half way
Uploadfromtaptalk1358888827706

Forgot to take one with them both done but I'll do it tomorrow and I suspect you get the idea.

Next up plastidip the new centre caps that I bought for my black wheels since they look a bit odd like this

Uploadfromtaptalk1358888943288

Ok hasn't gone according to plan.

Started really well this morning but still getting the intermittent brake fault warning but no fault code in vdcs.

Also my rear screen wash is now not working!!!

The joys of a 9 year old car I suppode!

My rear screen wash has never worked in 3 years, I just see it as a game where any bit of moisture on the back window is my small time frame in which I should use the rear wiper :)

Drivers side is cracked where some idiot (me) reversed it into a bollard. It is still perfectly usable just trying to get the car into as close to mint condition as possible. Will be sticking them up for sale in the classifieds once I have removed them from the car!

Hi mate I'm after a passenger side rear light if you still have it?

How much would you accept for it? Would need it posting as I'm based in Yorkshire

Thanks

Ian,

Have a good idea why the rear washer isn't working (internals knackered and leaking - common problem), need to sort it asap or it knackers the door lock mech, discuss further on the 9th.... :)

I have just sorted this exact problem.. When using the rear wash wipe the washer fluid was leaking from the motor. I cured this by putting a rubber O ring round the spindle of the washer tube. When it's built up it squashes the O ring and seals it.. Cost of repair is only pennies for the o-ring and about 20 minutes time..
Hth M