Road side police camera question

ElliottB

Audi A3
Reaction score
Hi

Just a quick question for anyone that may know, I've recently been caught speeding 35MPH in a 30 zone, but the thing I'm questioning is that the speed van was on the left hand side so i would have been driving away from him?

How can they measure this distance of going away from them against anything?

Cheers

Wont it be like a gatso, would they use marks on the road?

The principle of speed measuring is the same whether you're travelling to or away from the device. The speed reading will be a negative one, but the actual speed is the same!

Probably get offered a speed awareness course if they run them in your area. Half a day in a classroom and buffet then a driving lesson. Not bad for £75 lol

Fancy exceeding the speed limit passed a camera van! what were you thinking of?

Daft as it sounds a speed gun doesn't actually measure speed. It measures distance and time and then performs a calulation that gives you a speed reading. It matters not which direction you were travelling as the caluculation remains the same and gives the same result. Yes you can be done. Chances are though if your speedo said 35 in real money you were doing more like 32 and would fall outside the general operating practice of 10% + 2mph but this is not law or recomended just a generally accepted practice.

There was a case years back when an LTi 20-20 gun clocked a magistrates bench travelling at 4mph, the case was thrown out :)

Daft as it sounds a speed gun doesn't actually measure speed. It measures distance and time and then performs a calulation that gives you a speed reading. It matters not which direction you were travelling as the caluculation remains the same and gives the same result. There was a case years back when an LTi 20-20 gun clocked a magistrates bench travelling at 4mph, the case was thrown out :)

Yep, clue is on your speedo...miles/hour, or in the case of the camera probably metres/second. Either way, the camera took your speed at 0 metres and a set distance away, converting it to speed. (speed = distance/time)

I'm a little surprised you were done at 35 mph, normally they don't bother unless it 40+mph. Maybe it's a high accident area. Neverthess, I can vouch for the speed awareness course. It is actually very interesting. I paid £95 to sit it in my area, because I was caught 120 miles away from home. The cost far out weighed the reduced cost of sitting the course in the offending area + travel cost and it kept the points off my licence.

I thought they used the doppler effect of radar where a signal being bounced off something will return at a slightly different frequency, the difference of this frequency can then be used to determin speed.

Actually Turkster, you're not quite right there; the laser speed detection devices are calibrated once a year, by the manufacturer, and only one calibration certificate is issued. It is kept by the station commander, in a safe, and is only brought out for production at court, and only if the defendant states that he will want to inspect it at court.
However, pre use checks are carried out at the site where the speed enforcement is to be carried out, prior to starting, and this is done by checking the aim of the device, and a distance check. The officer simply states that this was carried out, in any statement. There are no certificates to prove that it was done.

The police do have radar speed detection devices, but they are rather old hat, and not so good as the laser devices, of which there are 2. The LTI 20-20, and the Laser Red dot. The latter fires 40 laser pulses in 43 microseconds, and each pulse records a distance. The distance of the first laser pulse, is measured against the distance of the second laser pulse, which is measured against the distance of the 3rd etc. Any discrepancy within that burst of lasers causes an error reading, and the trigger would need to be pulled again.
Hope this is clear Hibiscus S4.

There buggers them Camera Vans ! i got done at 38 in a 30 ! I was also using my wifes car once whilst i was talking on my phone but it wasn't paired up to my wife's there we are, Bmw Police car comes racing up behind me :0

Write to them and ask for the picture evidence and the way to calculate it.

This is something i have done in the past and found that it is not always correct, but don't contest it to much or you will end up with 12points like me, not fun for me insurance.

But i have seen other people do this and find it be incorrect, so follow it through and work it your self, ya never know !!