2005 8p - replacement HU

JohnE

2005 A3 Sport 1.6 FSI
Reaction score
OK so I have in place my trusty but ancient Grundig RDS5600 with connection to (also trusty but ancient) DAB box. So far so good - I know I need to do some more to sort out the wiring to the rear and sub and I'm going to put in the Parrot kit I got off eBay soon.

I know I need an ign feed from the fusebox - or a canbus adapter - but I'm wondering if there's anywhere to take a signal for Speed Controlled volume and illumination? Do I need to get these from the canbus?

Also (mine is the non-Bose with rear amp/sub setup) - can I take just the line level signal (common, LR, RR), or does the amp need some extra signals to switch on/off? The pinout on top of the Audi HU shows connections for Can L and Can H which are connected in the 20-pin mini ISO - I assume if they are there they must do something, but I don't have any outputs on my HU that correspond.

CAN L & CAN H is the CANBUS - all it really does is tell the HU when the ignition is on/off/keys out and dims the display when the lights are on. A CANBUS emulator will convert these to the conventional voltage signals, expensive option though
All you need for the rear/sub amp is the RCA input ISO adapter PC9-404 or 410
Bare in mind you will need to fade to rear quite a bit to balance the puny Audi amp with the higher power now going to the fronts from the Grundig.

Thanks Andy, much appreciated (and I feel a fool now! - it should've been obvious!) - I would quite like the illumination and Speed Controlled vol - I guess the canbus emulator is the only way to do these?

BTW - the Pre-outs on my old Grundig are on a 20 pin mini ISO - it's just that the pinout is totally different from AUDI - not least because it also has the connections for the Grundig DAB box as well as a CD changer and the phone in and mutes - it was a pretty advanced unit at the time, but there was no canbus then.