Adjusting Headlamps for driving on the continent

SimonP

Reaction score
On my S3 I can adjust the Xenon headlamps for driving on the right by flicking a small tin lever within each headlamp assembly.

Does anyone know whether this is possible on our new B6 A4? (54 plate without Xenon's). Do I have to resort to those old black pieces of plastic or beam deflectors?

I've had a quick prod about and can't find anything similar to the lever, in fact it looks a barrel of laughs to replace a headlamp bulb...

As per the S3, I could on my TT also.

The bad news is I've not heard of anyone who's done it them self and have ended up going to a dealer.

I have actually bought some small deflectors from Halfords which say they work on ALL cars. They are silver on the outside so won't look too bad. I haven't actually used them as I managed to avoid driving in the dark whilst away.

There are levers similar to S3 on the B7 models, so I would imagine its similar for the B6, the bad news is that it is virtually impossible to get at them, at least on the S4 nearside anyway, without removing the headlamp and that means bumper off

I am interested in the answer to this one too Pete, for my B6/A4????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

on the B6 A4 getting the headlamps out is easy, 4 bolts one wiring plug and there yours, the bumpers are a pig more so with headlamp washers ,with the lamps out you can get to the six 10mm nuts down the wings (3 each side) tdi's and turbos have intercoolers that get in your way then remove the front under tray then undo the lower screws on the arch liners, pull the liner out a bit and you can get to the screw holding the lower part of the bumper, remove this then pull the bumper outwards (mind you don't bend the wings) next pull the fog lamp grills off then you can get to the crash bar bolts (you can remove the bumper with out the crash bar the screws are inside the bumper going into the bar and a right pig to get to) then the bumper should come off with a pull, you will find wires going to the horns and things that need unpluging and water pipes if you have washers and don't loose the plastic spacers on the studs going into the wings as without them the wings bend outwards went refitting, good luck anyone that gives this a try, the B5's are much more easy

ps my spelling not to good took me over 1 hour to type that, the next one i do i will take some pics to make it clearer

Thought I'd check this out last night, removed the headlight and found that it doesn't have any levers or other mechanism to change the beam from left to right, everything is very simple and very fixed.

This matches my friend's experience with his late last model A6 which also has no method to adjust (his previous slightly older A6 did).

So it's beam benders from Halfords after all...

So in conclusion looks very much like A4/A6's from 2004 onwards don't have the mechanism to adjust the beam pattern from left to right hand drive. I guess a cost cutting measure.

At least I've discovered how to remove the headlamp in case a bulb fails! What a great design.