The best mod I've ever done!

A couple of things that would be a issue for me:

1. Sound quality "As there would be limited space to put a nice sounding head unit other then a Audi chorus"

2. No controls on the steering wheel for skipping next track or back.

3. Security risk

Other then that it looks great.

I wouldn't sell my App radio 2 any time soon thou... :sly: Until these factors are resolved.

"True say" I've been hearing rumours that Apple might get into the car head unit business. :sly:

1. As for sound quality you can use any standard Audi headunit as I have coupled with a digital to analogue converter should give quite a crisp sound from the iPad, however you could just as easily get rid of the headunit all together and use a small amp to run all of the speakers. I only kept the headunit as I wanted to keep my Audi bluetooth.

2. Obviously as it uses an Audi headunit you can control the volume etc from the steering wheel (if you have a MFSW, thats the next mod for me!!) but as you say there is no way to skip tracks however with such a big screen on the iPad the "next track" button is easily located while you're driving.

3. I totally agree with you on the security risk however as the iPad sits back in the dash I'm on the look out for an old double din stereo that I can take the fascia off of to stick over the iPad when I park up somewhere.

Again thanks for all the great comments!!!

Last edited:
In my opinion this will only look very good if you've got a sexy interior.
Stick an iPad in a bone dry standard interior and it's going to look... well... stuck in.

Innovative though :yes:

WOW that looks so nice!!!
i can imagine full screen tomtom running on that along with all the usual phone stuff. multi tasking is great on the ipads, built in internet....

where is your hazard light now then? and esp button?

not a fan being honest, looks too far from the oem for me, plus like said above no steering controls and as soon as people know whats in there, theres a high chance of thieving *******s, as long as youre happy though

A bit more secure than what I've been doing for the past year. Had no problems with it though!

Get Copilot Europe, Unbelievable

IMG_2537.jpg

IMG_2536.jpg

looks ace although you need to put a surround on it to make it blend in more. Are you going to make it removable and where are your switchs now??

jameze: didn't mean to press dislike.. sowwy...

Wow, what an idea! Looks good does that. Now that appeals to the absolute gadget collector inside me. Nice 1. :D

Looks fantastic!!!

Full write up ASAP please :)

The MFSW control would be an easy fix I think.

Just run an iPod integration such as the Dension Gateway 100.
Have it plugged into the iPad and not only will the music play through your speakers, but you'll have volume and track control (next, back) through the MFSW.
Then the iPad is right there when you want to change play lists.

I'm sure the iPad cage could be dremelled to fit the plug (which is needed for charging anyway).