help please 2001 a4 tdi pd engine

dan b5 tdi

Reaction score
hi there ive just got my self a audi a4 advant tdi. I bought it off ebay with 3 owners from new with 90k on the clock. so i drove it home all ok then went to start it the next day and o no troble starting. To cut a long story short the timing was out a full tooth not good. the car had just had a new turbo put on and the top end done. They had timed it up useing the old chork mark way not the way it should be done at all. so affter all that sorted i put it on the vag scan then came back with the fault code for the injector harness so put a new 1 of them in and did the injector seals at the same time. so affter that my mgp started working for the fist time but still bad starting when cold so today i tested the glow plug wires ive been told i should be getting 12v but dead so i trased them back to a 80amp fuse all good there so went to the relay tested the relay that works fine as well. There is 12v going to the relay but the relay does not turn on so back to the wiring diagram and that lead me to 2 sensors wich is the coolent temp sensor and the air sensor wich tells the relay to come on if the engine is cold and heats the glow plugs up. so i just replaced the coolent temp sensor to night and my temp gaege started to work but now the rad fan kicks in at like 60c can any body help me with this any iders why the fan is kicking in.
icon8.png

am new to the audi seen any help will be much appreciated thanks
icon10.png

maybe too warm for the GPs to be coming on now?
I disconnected the coolant temp sensor to trick 12v out of the GP connections

I think the temp sensors can be checked in VagCom

just been reading my haynes manual and i wonder if i might have an air lock in the rad thats why the fan keeps coming on when the temp is not even at 60c is there any other sensor that tells the ecu that the engine is cold or hot.

Is your AC working and on ? That would make the fan work...

No the ac is not on the ac belt has been taken off as well

Should the ac drive belt be on as it was taken off when I got the car

Probably a seized clutch on the AC compressor. It could be an airlock if the fan keeps comming on or off, this is odd behaviour as they're not supposed to do that. How's your temp. gauge ?

its still at 70 affter i put the temp sensor in ive had a read up and am going to put a new thurmostat in 2moz. i am still not getting power to the glow plugs as well any iders any 1

well put a new thermastat in and now its running at 90c spot on will have to see how she starts when cold now