Squeal goes away when braking

themikeyboosh

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an intermittent squeal (high pitched, I can be going in a straight line too) which is coming from the front, can't tell which side. Anyway it goes away when I brake. Any ideas what it could be?

I had terrible squeel with my previous 8p3.

i got some copper spray grease right into the caliper. Worked well.

If you can be ***** to take the wheel off and take pads out. coat the back of the pads with copper grease and re-insert. should solve things.

:)

there's probably retainer springs or clips in there somewhere I think.

one might have gone walkabouts causing them to "rattle" perhaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you recently replaced your pads with aftermarket ones?

I had the same thing with one of my front brakes and my problem was the thread on the caliper carrier where the slide pin screws in had no thread so the pin just span round when I tightened it.

I've just had a garage take apart the brakes for me and what-have-you and it's still making the noise. He did notice the cv boot is split. Could this cause the squeel? I can make the pitch change ever so slighty if a sharply "nudge" the steering wheel.

Ive just had the similar with our S3

After 10 minutes the front of the car makes a squealing noise on off throttle moving. So annoying.

Stops when I press the brake

any ideas!?

I Had the exact same issue as above... a squeel every time the wheel went round.. out foot on brake and it went away...
was like this for around a month then i noticed when braking from around 60-70mph harder than usual the whole car violently shook.
I thought it could be tracking or wheel balancing... or possibly a warp disc.... anyway one day on the M1 at night i went past a lorry at around 80mph... noticed a reflection on the lorry and my front drivers side brake disc was glowing red!!

pulled over... got it recovered back to the garage and it was the caliper had seized. He did say the piston wasnt coming out properly and was intermittant.
So got brand new caliper, front brake discs and pads inc labour etc for £250 all in.
The discs and pads on drivers side were knackered...... get the caliper checked before you have an issue like mine and sets on fire

I Had the exact same issue as above... a squeel every time the wheel went round.. out foot on brake and it went away...
was like this for around a month then i noticed when braking from around 60-70mph harder than usual the whole car violently shook.
I thought it could be tracking or wheel balancing... or possibly a warp disc.... anyway one day on the M1 at night i went past a lorry at around 80mph... noticed a reflection on the lorry and my front drivers side brake disc was glowing red!!

pulled over... got it recovered back to the garage and it was the caliper had seized. He did say the piston wasnt coming out properly and was intermittant.
So got brand new caliper, front brake discs and pads inc labour etc for £250 all in.
The discs and pads on drivers side were knackered...... get the caliper checked before you have an issue like mine and sets on fire

Good call I was going to say a seized caliper from OP's described problem.

I had this exact issue with my 57' S3. Sounded to me like it was coming from the front of the car. Luckily it's under warranty and on closer inspection it was both rear callipers sticking. Audi replaced them both and it's all gone away. Seems like a common-ish problem