Single/dual mass flywheel

RobMorris

Reaction score
Chaps

Car is a 2004 8P 2.0 tdi 140 manual

Do i have a single or dual mass flywheel?

And as I am buying a new clutch/bearing/flywheel should I go for the dual? I assume it is better?
What i the difference?

Cheers

Hi mate fairly new to this myself but am in the same pickle with the same motor! Just been to garage there's a dual mass on there as standard, you can get uprated dual mass flywheels or you can get a single mass, it's up to you, bloke reckons the single mass is really noisy, and can be really heavy, personally I think I'm going to keep the dual mass but uprate for a performance one, with a new clutch ofcourse :)!

With a diesel,you're best with the DMF,or your car will sound and feel like a cement mixer.

Even on the petrol models,it's still pretty noticeable.

Sorry to hear mate, you going to replace it again or just live with it?! Mine has gone in this morning for a sachs clutch and DMF so will let you know how it is if you do need to replace :)

I cant live with it - but dont want to spend out again on another clutch/kit/fitting as i want to sell the car..
I might just part ex it as it is and take the hit..

How much did you pay for yours all in?

I didnt listen and went for the SMF - it sounds awful..
I'm sorry it's as bad as it is,but I know what SMFs can be like on petrol engines,and just wouldn't think of having one on a diesel if you want any sort of peace in the car.