Just bought my first Audi A4 B6 1.8T

oatcake

Reaction score
Hi,
I'd like to start off by saying what a great forum this place looks to be!! Plenty of modding options look to be easily available and this is just music to my ears.:yum:
I've not actually seen the car i've won on ebay yet but I am going to collect it on Wednesday and I can't wait to be honest with you. I haven't really been excited about picking a car up in years, since my BMW E30 days and I feel like a big kid again all over again lol.

Its a 52 plate
B6 A4 1.8T 150 bhp i think but if im lucky it might just be the 163 but it's doubtful (need to seek advise on this)
4 new pencil coils fitted
Full service history
M.O.T'd for 10 months
Taxed till July
Just 83k Miles
Very standard looking SE model i think it is in gun metal grey but I hope to change all of this in the very near future starting with the colour coding of the lower sills and bumpers :icon_thumright:

This is the part where my questions start :think: lol.

Im looking for a budget but decent set of coilovers, best bang for buck kinda deals if anyone has any idea's... I've heard lots of bad things about FK coilys and dont really wanna be replacing them in 10 months time so ideally want something that will last, rides well and is a fair price.
Also looking for some 19" BBS LM's and wanted to know if anyone has any experience of running a complete 9j setup, possibly with pictures?
Also is anyone able to please offer me any advise of things to check on the car, on collection and also engine parts that i will need to service/check in the near future?

Great forum,
cheers Mates
Oatcake:hi:

linky to the ebay add ?

Welcome to the forum :icon_thumright:

There are several sticky guides at the top of the forum which will help you on your way, certainly to explaining engine codes/part numbers etc.

There is lots of discussion on different suspension set-ups happening all the time too.

hi and welcome to ASN m8 hope youve grabbed a bargain... ive also heard bad things about certain coilys so im going springs on my sport shocks in the next month or so... have fun and check the stickys out

Bez I have added the link, think it needs to be approved first. Thank you for your kind replies and help so far, it all helps :) cheers

Bez I have added the link, think it needs to be approved first. Thank you for your kind replies and help so far, it all helps :) cheers

Welcome to ASN. Glad your enjoying the forum. I will just check your link out. Enjoy. :) x

Welcome along mate, Car looks nice. As for Coilovers I've got Weitec Hicon GT's and they are fantastic, have mine set very low and they are comfy and give me no troubles at all on 19's. You get what you pay for but mine came in at just over £600 from awesome which I think is good value for the high quality! Keep us posted on the progress :)

looks clean
and a good price for the miles
check its had the belts done if not do them

Thank you everyone for such a warm welcome and your encouraging words. As you can clearly see, it's a bit of a work in progress kind of car but I just couldn't resist it and it seems good value for money to me so i took it :)
Mark, thank you for finding out the bhp for me bud, I'm going to be looking for a remap in the very near future but just want to get a few more important bits done to her first. Fraggles cheers for the info about your coils mate, they sound like just what I'm after ;)
Thanks for all of your advise, it's hugely appreciated!
Thanks mates
oatcake :)

Loving the car so far, needs to be lowered though. Can anyone tell me if 10j rears will go on? :)

Welcome!

I have just had a set of AP coilovers fitted and so far i am very impressed, the ride quality is extremely good and not too firm. I also have just fitted 19" BBS LM reps (9.5x19 rear 8.5x19 front) with 235/35-19 tyres all round and have no clearance issues at all and they do look extremely cool!

P1010042.jpg

Lovely stance bud. Looks. Very cool :cool:
ive just bought myself a set of borbet B's instead of the lm reps. I cant wait to see these old skool bad boys on it, slammed on coils. If you don't mind me asking, how much were your coils? Thanks!

19 x 8.5 bbs lm reps 215 35 19

Last edited by a moderator:
the AP coilovers retail at about £550, but i had a little bit of discount and had them supplied and fitted at Demon Tweeks for £580. The only down side is currently the rears are down as far as they will go, i was hoping it would be a little lower but they are new and it should settle down a little with use.

Thanks for that m8. Unfortunately for me my coilover budget has just taken a bit of a good hiding and I think I'm going have to go with a set of budget ones for now. :-(
i can't have everything but if they last me a year, that'll do :) I'll just renew them again at a later date to hopefully something a bit better.
Thanks for your guidance and help mate
cheers
oatcake ;-)

Im nt gonna make out like ive had a good bargain here though mates. The car has issues that I was not informed about. Still trying to work things out with the seller but surprise surprise, he's ignoring me.

Im nt gonna make out like ive had a good bargain here though mates. The car has issues that I was not informed about. Still trying to work things out with the seller but surprise surprise, he's ignoring me.

if it was a private sale you really have no chance with the seller if hes ignoreing you
whats the problems and how come u didnt spot them when you viewed the car ?

sorry to hear this mate, i had trouble with my car a week after buying it, the water pump went caput and ended up costing me £400/£500 including having the cambelt done at the same time, glad i did it in the end tho as its all good maintanence!

The Engine management light came on, on the way home. My guess is that the seller cleared the code for the sale and on it came about 40 miles into the journey and lost a bit of power.
1) Fault code is n75 valve &
2) P1701 "Bank 1 running too lean"
3) The boot now doesnt open with the central locking and only sometimes with the key
4) A knocking noise has also appeared when turn corners (yet to be investigated)

Pretty damn crap really but these are the joys of the second hand car market i guess, are there any decent genuine people left out there i ask myself ?

I have just had these delivered to ease my pain though lol

20120523_203435.jpg

Thanks mates.

Tbh - those issues are not that bad at all and as you got the car quite cheap - I would just take it on the chin! :)

Tbh - those issues are not that bad at all and as you got the car quite cheap - I would just take it on the chin! :)

Yeah I agree, get those few bit's sorted and you'll have yourself a top, reliable motor there matey.
Wheels look great by the way, are they staying as is or you getting them coloured / polishes or anything? what rubber you putting on em?

Like you said, these things happen with a second-hand car. I had mine for a week and had the driver's side window drop. New window regulator sorted it out, but it was in winter!

If these issues I have are easy fixes, could someone please enlighten me to what i need to do to stop the engine light coming on?
I have already had the code cleared once and it came back but the car just doesnt seem to accelerate as quick when the light is illuminated on the dash.
any help, advice would be absolutely spot on mates.
Thank you
:thumbsup:

What's the code you get when the engine light comes on? Your cars not accelerating well because the car's going into limp mode, it's a safety thing to get you home without doing the engine any damage. The code will give some clue as to the problem.

You can map your car to stage 1 without any trouble mate, should see up to 225bhp on a good day!

Forge 007 Dump valve is generally though of as being the best. They are fully retric so you don't get the psssst blow off sound. If you want that then I would suggest you go for something like a turbosmart dual port.

Someone else will have to explain the in's and out's of the N75 bypass but I know many many have done this mod

whats the turbosmart dual port like,does it cause problems with the cars running? im gonna get a 007p but i really would love a "pppstt"

What's the code you get when the engine light comes on? Your cars not accelerating well because the car's going into limp mode, it's a safety thing to get you home without doing the engine any damage. The code will give some clue as to the problem.

You can map your car to stage 1 without any trouble mate, should see up to 225bhp on a good day!

Happy days, up to 225 bhp huh :eyebrows:

I'm pretty sure the fault code was p1701. I had my mechanic tighten a few things up under the bonnet and what we thought to be the cause and then we cleared the code, however the engine management light came back on within 40 miles. so something is a miss. I have been told that it could also be a faulty 02 sensor, anyone know how likely that is?
The car has only been linked up to a cheap code reader/reset tool. I understand that the garages have completely different technology available and have the proper software available to read ecu's, so here's another question. Would, lets say vagcom find other faults that a cheaper code reader wouldn't ?
Cheers

p1701 is an imobilizer issue i think?

whats the turbosmart dual port like,does it cause problems with the cars running? im gonna get a 007p but i really would love a "pppstt"

I use the Turbosmart one and it's a bit of a chore to set up with the trumpet on but after some adjustments it works fine for me. If you set it wrong ur car will stall when you come off the throttle. To be honest tho I put mine back to fully retric cos the blow off started getting annoying and drawing too much attention.

Forge do a similar dual port one as well, it's more expensive but as with the turbosmart it'll do both blow off and fully retric.