wanting ambient light

discostu49

Reaction score
hi im after the ambient lights to glow over the gears at night does anybody know if it can be added to my car here is a pic of my front light

light.jpg

Hi mate Ive got one but its grey in colour. Has LED's fitted and the x2 red glow LED's and map reading lights. Brilliant condition. I am after a black one as the new S3 has dark headlining. £75 for it. Its almost plug and play. I think you need to transfer the bluetooth mic and thats it.

thanks for the swift replies

sorry brodster i have the s line so dark headlining aswell, is this where my blutooth mic is located?

as for the link jameze brilliant just what im looking for, i take it i will need to but the l.e.d unit for this which i belive is around £10? would this then be plug and play.

Yeah the bluetooth mic is inside. You'll find that when you pull away the main panel the bluetooth mic will pop out from the main unit. Be advised though that not all units have the cut-out for the mic to go in. You may well find you have to cut it out yourself....I had to do that on the light grey one. Stanley blade, junior hacksaw and a small file to smooth off the edges and 5-10 mins later all was sorted.

And the LED module just slides into the rear of the panel and clips in and connect the 2 leckie connections.

Right then if anyone wants my old light grey unit then let me know. It has the map reading lights but no LED module anymore as I have removed it to go into the new one.

I did this on my last A3.

I bought the LED module for about £12 and drilled/beveled the holes myself. Didn't really need the map lights.

I did this on my last A3.

I bought the LED module for about £12 and drilled/beveled the holes myself. Didn't really need the map lights.

:sign_pics: where you buy the led module? does it just plug into a standard lnterior light ? as per the first pic

Last edited:
Sorry dude... Was my last car and didn't have any pics.

I got the module from the bay. From what I remember it was plug and play. Can't remember doing any major wiring. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

does it just plug into a standard lnterior light ? as per the first pic

Yep. Mine already had the holder just no module. So it clipped straight in. There are even drill marks of where to drill.

My last A3 was a 59plate 1.6 Technik.

i like this mod, will give stoke audi a call in the morning. nice one Cruiser lad :friends: can look to fit it now my led upgrade has arrived from Trups

picked up the led module this morning. is there any easy way to remove the lighting dome? i have removed the glass section but can't figure out how get the rest out? anyone done this? as i done want to break anything

can't remember lad, just concerned i'll break something :blush:

will have another go tomorrow lad :salute: if i get stuck, looks like a trip to bradford is on the cards

You need to remove the whole lighting unit away from the roof as you need to get to the underside of it to connect it all. Takes about 1 min to remove the whole unit......x2 screws and thats it.

Last edited:
picked up the led module this morning. is there any easy way to remove the lighting dome? i have removed the glass section but can't figure out how get the rest out? anyone done this? as i done want to break anything

All our installers and engineers have a set of these - Bojo Tools European Web Resource

Well worth investing in if you take bits of your car apart. Helps get them out and prevent any damage.

Can pick a set off eBay quite cheaply.

Fitted the new dark ambient lighting console to the S3 today.....and what a bonus as the LED unit was already fitted to the new one from Stoke Audi so I have up for grabs a complete front ambient lighting console with map reading lights, all bulbs and LED module in light grey colour. If anyone wants it let me know....if not then classifieds it is.

i think im going to order the LED cluster from stoke audi, but how the hell does the whole light unit pop out of the roof lining??

cheers

With the 8L S3 version I popped the outer lense cover off by slipping a credit card under the cover lense. If you needed to take the rear housing out, it was held in by a couple of screws.

I did it on my old S3, where all the lighting, dash and vents were illumiated red. I havent decided if i want to do it on this one.

Just follow the How to guide I posted up earlier in the thread.

:iagree: sorted mine out last weekend. wasn't sure at first but all good now. take your time and don't use too much force

sorry thought the thread that was posted was just for A4. take it A3 is the same then
cheers

Its so easy you'll laugh after fitting it. You need to remove the front panel to get to the 2 mounting screws and then the whole unit will drop away. You need to do this to fit the LED module as you have to get to the back of the unit to mount and connect the LED module. Took me approx 10 mins to replace it.

Right I've got the LED unit and went to install this, I don't have the guides on the underside of the plastic to drill the holes

IMG_20120628_145344.jpg

Can anyone give me some measurements of where to drill?

Would be much appreciated. Thanks

Right I've got the LED unit and went to install this, I don't have the guides on the underside of the plastic to drill the holes

IMG_20120628_145344.jpg

Can anyone give me some measurements of where to drill?

Would be much appreciated. Thanks

Can anyone assist with this?

All you need to do is use some chalk and mark slightly on your headlining where roughly the LED's are and measure how deep inwards they go. Temporarily fit the cover and mark that spots then use a drill thats slightly larger diameter than LED's. Piece of cake. Should take you no more than 10-15 mins.

Yeah, I've got the same problem.

I think the way I'm going to tackle it, is to roll 2 very small balls of blu-tac and place them actually on the led bulbs, then colour them in with felt tip heavily. Then I'm going to replace the cover and remove it to hopefully find 2 small dots where the leds will be directly below.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've got the same problem.

I think the way I'm going to tackle it, is to roll 2 very small balls of blu-tac and place them actually on the led bulbs, then colour them in with felt tip heavily. Then I'm going to replace the cover and remove it to hopefully find 2 small dots where the leds will be directly below.

Nice tactic, I'm going to take a look into it tomorrow. Let me know how you get on.

easy mod this lad's. steel rule, marking stick and a 5mm drill bit, then 6.5mm to finish the holes. as Brodster says, 15 mins job done.