S3 MAP sensor relocate?

Scullies

Reaction score
Would it be OK to relocate the MAP sensor to the intake manifold or does it need to be before the TB?

I think it needs to be before the TB to get the best amount of air onto the sensor but I'm just guessing. Why do you want to move it anyway?

probably makes life easier when fitting an FMIC it think

After throttle body will show a - value at idle! Before TB will always be atmospheric pressure or more. It has to be before TB

really it depends on the sensor as some MAP sensors will not read a -ve value and as such can be mounted in teh inlet manifold without any issues. Most jap stuff tends to have the MAP sensor mounted in the inlet manifold.

I would leave it in the main charge pipe system else you will end up confusing the ECU and may get running probs...

If making custom FMIC pipework just get a Forge MAP tube in the ID you want and weld that in..

Forge Motorsport | Alloy Fabrication

<tuffty/>

really it depends on the sensor as some MAP sensors will not read a -ve value and as such can be mounted in teh inlet manifold without any issues. Most jap stuff tends to have the MAP sensor mounted in the inlet manifold.

this is a 1.8t..
it reads both vac and pressure... me7 cant make sense of vac however so it must be non vac located, ideally as vag designed it, before throttle, after intercooler

Thanks for the replies guys, going to fit a FMIC and want to change all the piping. Have to get a FMIC locally as its too costly to ship one over.
That forge pipe looks interesting, thanks Tuffy, might ship one of those over :yes:

I used the Forge tube in my setup...
20100917_IMAG0302.jpg

Shame really as I am making a new one when I fit the larger inlet...

<tuffty/>