is this normal? s3

z1mma

Reaction score
S3 beeing my first turbo car, i noticed on the way home from work this morning..

I was cruising at 60mph in 6th gear on a empty a road, so i thou ill see whats the pick up is like if i floored the peddle.. All that happend was the revs shot upto 7k/8k alot of noise but slowley picking up speed.. I didnt expect lighting quick pick up but In my old NA engined cars i use to do that and both revs and speed moved in sync..

I tried again in 5th 4th if im at a low cruising speed and floor it same thing happens.

Is this normal ?

Running stage 2+ plus sach clutch

Oh when i did this in 6th gear and revs shot up.. Smelt like i took about a months life out of my clutch :(

z1mma

for sure clutch is knakered I'd say! go for the "spec" clutch if I was you, S3Alex will tell you more about its characteristics etc being SMF etc.

S3 beeing my first turbo car, i noticed on the way home from work this morning..I was cruising at 60mph in 6th gear on a empty a road, so i thou ill see whats the pick up is like if i floored the peddle.. All that happend was the revs shot upto 7k/8k alot of noise but slowley picking up speed.. I didnt expect lighting quick pick up but In my old NA engined cars i use to do that and both revs and speed moved in sync..I tried again in 5th 4th if im at a low cruising speed and floor it same thing happens. Is this normal ?Running stage 2+ plus sach clutchOh when i did this in 6th gear and revs shot up.. Smelt like i took about a months life out of my clutch :( z1mma
OK....sounds like you've burnt the clutch up for sure.....the Sachs is very robust if you treat it right,and don't go in for drag starts and suchlike,especially over the first thousand or so miles.
Mine managed to cope with 440bhp and 440lbs of torque for a good while,but I don't generally go for the 0-60 nonsense,so when it was changed(due to increasing the torque limits) there was still plenty left in it.
If you want something virtually unbreakable,then a Spec Stg3+ clutch like mine,would fit the bill.....rated to nearly 600lbs,but like all carbon metallic and/or paddle clutches,it will not take kindly to being slipped,plus it requires a single mass flywheel,so your car will sound like a cement mixer at idle.

wow 6k ? whats so uprated about a uprated sach clutch then ?? -.-
i heard they were supose to be good

OK....sounds like you've burnt the clutch up for sure.....the Sachs is very robust if you treat it right,and don't go in for drag starts and suchlike,especially over the first thousand or so miles.
Mine managed to cope with 440bhp and 440lbs of torque for a good while,but I don't generally go for the 0-60 nonsense,so when it was changed(due to increasing the torque limits) there was still plenty left in it.
If you want something virtually unbreakable,then a Spec Stg3+ clutch like mine,would fit the bill.....rated to nearly 600lbs,but like all carbon metallic and/or paddle clutches,it will not take kindly to being slipped,plus it requires a single mass flywheel,so your car will sound like a cement mixer at idle.

is this one of those on/off clutchs? i still need it for day to day driving, dont wanna pull a cramp in my left leg everytime i drive :s
how much do they go for ? supply & fit

wow 6k ? whats so uprated about a uprated sach clutch then ?? -.-i heard they were supose to be good
It does depend on how you treat it,and as I said,mine coped fine with 440lbs until I upped the torque by a large amount,and it finally gave in,but that's well beyond it's rated torque.
is this one of those on/off clutchs? i still need it for day to day driving, dont wanna pull a cramp in my left leg everytime i drive :show much do they go for ? supply & fit
You're looking at around £1400 or thereabouts....it's not exactly on/off,but as I said,it won't take kindly to being slipped a lot around town,and you also have to remember you're getting an SMF into the bargain,and you WILL notice that.

wow 6k ? whats so uprated about a uprated sach clutch then ?? -.-
i heard they were supose to be good

the Sachs is the uprated one mate?

To be honest, these Sachs clutches aren't all they're cracked up to be.

yes, they're ideal up to stage 2 but from then on..

I just wouldn't want to worry all the time that it will melt at a glance at full throttle.

The way i see it is, the sachs is only just capable of handling the power, These stage 2+ cars need something better than this. I could understand perhaps if you didn't my doing the work yourself but it's all bit of a ball ache an costs a fair bit in labour if a garage does it.

you might aswell just go overkill from the word go and be done with it altogether. The downside being slightly heavier clutch and a bit noiser etc but hell, I know which one i'd rather.

noise and 1 bill

quieter..lots of bills......

Yea its uprated...

You guys think ill be ok for awhile if i dont floor it all the time.. Looks like it only slips after 3k revs and thats only if i floor it in 3rd to 6th gears.. It grips properly in 1st and 2nd all the way up the rev range with out slips..

I was planning on moving upto stage 3+ i guess clutch will now be on the cards before the other mods

z1mma

Yea its uprated...You guys think ill be ok for awhile if i dont floor it all the time.. Looks like it only slips after 3k revs and thats only if i floor it in 3rd to 6th gears.. It grips properly in 1st and 2nd all the way up the rev range with out slips..I was planning on moving upto stage 3+ i guess clutch will now be on the cards before the other mods z1mma
If thats what you have in mind,then have a run through my build thread,as it may be of some use.

The clutch would have to be changed for an SMF type,and the Spec is very good,with quite a light action,but a full Stg3 or 4 build will run to several thousand bucks,plus you'll need brakes,suspension and some other parts chucked in.....say about £10k or more,if you do it properly.

If you haven't already done the brakes and suspension then add a few thousand for those as the car will be unmanageable at anything over Stg2+ without.

If you've got the car running properly on 2+ then it's worth doing the brakes and suspension anyway as you'll get a LOT more out of it that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: pinterovski