Tire pressure

jbaudi

Reaction score
What tire pressure do I need to run with 225/40/18 tires on 8.5j wheels?

Thanks

I've got mine at 34 all round (less sidewall means slightly higher pressure needed to protect the rim).

Take a look at the inside of your fuel cap. Will give you some sort of indication

ah right didn't know that! I presume 40 profile will be slightly higher than standard sport wheels, but didn't want to over inflate and wear down the centres of the tires!

Guys I've changed my wheels to the 18 inch S3 rotor design with the original tyres, but my previous (original) wheels were the 16inch ones so my fuel cap may not be right? Does anyone have any ideas of the correct pressure?

Standard S3 is apparently 38 front, 34 rear... maybe I should top mine up a bit :shrug:

MartayMcFly:1608673 said:
Standard S3 is apparently 38 front, 34 rear... maybe I should top mine up a bit :shrug:

Thought it was 38 / 30?

Do I need to top up my rears?

I was just getting it from another thread, if someone has actually looked inside their door, they'll have a better idea of the actual recommended pressure.

Reactions: azialex
Inside my door says 42 front 36 rear for 2.0 TDI. Has always seemed high but to be honest if Audi set that it must be for a reason?!?!

Inside my door says 42 front 36 rear for 2.0 TDI. Has always seemed high but to be honest if Audi set that it must be for a reason?!?!

Our MY2010 2.0 TDi is the same. Seems high but as we found out by running our tyres under inflated they only lasted 10k miles! So we now keep them at 42 front and 36 rear and all is well.

My car is 36 front and 33 rear according to the fuel flap. They are all different even if the tyres sizes are the same!

yea my fuel caps says 36 front, 33 rear, but that does say only for 225/45/17 and my new tires are 225/40/18. I'm guessing the lower the profile, the higher the pressure would need to be but it would be nice if someone had some kind of offical figure/table tec to clarify exactly how much to put in for each tire size!??

yea my fuel caps says 36 front, 33 rear, but that does say only for 225/45/17 and my new tires are 225/40/18. I'm guessing the lower the profile, the higher the pressure would need to be but it would be nice if someone had some kind of offical figure/table tec to clarify exactly how much to put in for each tire size!??

Trouble is that table would have to cover every tyre size, rim size and individual car model combination... there's probably differences between different manufacturer recommendations of the same size tyres.

Same problem Im struggling with, think that the fuel cap will say the wrong pressure as Im now running 18s.

ha something so simple is turning out to be quite tricky! Need to get this right really as I've has so many tires wear down quickly due to under/over inflating! I'm gonna aim for around 40/35 until someone with a similar set up can hopefully advise...

obviously it all depends on the load your carry. I.e passengers. more passengers...more air.....and indeed it says this inside the drivers door.

i run mine hard as I carry loads and loads of cleaning stuff and the odd passenger and dog. 45 front/40 rear. wears evenly and rides just perfectly :)

Last edited by a moderator:
now with a bit of luck this Flickr thing will work.

ive taken a picture of what mine say for an S3.

Go here----> Welcome to Flickr!

Awesome thanks! So just need to check the tyres to see if they are '92Y' or '92V' to match up to the right pressure. Anyone got any ideas what the standard S3 potenza's are? haha me just being lazy