Chorus + 2 speakers - what are my options?

GaryHorse

Reaction score
Just bought a 2011 A3 Sportback with the cheap as chips d/din Chorus. Have established only front speakers fitted and don't want Bose set up. What are options? Would a Symphony II work with the wiring as it is and what do you recommend as speakers for the back? Having seen the front ones I reckon I would be better off changing those too - they look a bit bargain basement. AMazed they fit such poor quality hifi into a prestige car (well, it's not a Porsche but then it's not a Honda!):yes:

Dave

A3 Sportback TDI SE 140

You need to buy a non Bose subwoofer off ebay (for all of about £30) as this houses the amp that drives the rear speakers. No Audi HU has rear speaker outputs, so unless you go with an aftermarket HU you will not be able to wire up the rears even if you fit them. You also need the wiring loom from HU to subwoofer as Audi do not prewire models where the sub is not fitted.
If you go down this route ensure you get a subwoofer from a sportback as Audi redesigned the unit specifically for the SB and no other will fit properly.
Regarding speakers, you will need adapters to fit any aftermarket units, I would concentrate on the sub and see how it sounds once you have that sorted using stock rears (plenty on ebay). Or move the front speakers to the rear and use decent aftermarket units in the front. The JL Audio TR650's are decent and easy(ish) to fit as they don't have a bulky crossover.

Rats! Just bought a mint Symphony III on eBay for £102 thinking this would solve the problem. So I had better source a subwoofer then! Bit odd for Audi to have this set up isn't it - or is it the norm?

Ref the JL Audio speakers that you recommend for the front (assumin I move the fronts to the rear) - do they slot in or do I need adapters? Also, where do I go for the wiring looms? I assume there's no live feed for the sub in the boot.... (Getting this horrible feeling I may have broken off more than I can chew here! It's only the fact that I am absolutely chuffed to bits with quality of this A3, my first Audi, that I want to get it sounding as good as it drives.
Thanks. Dave

Last edited:
No it's the same on all Audi's since 1995
You need adapters for any aftermarket speakers
You will need the wiring loom with the sub, or try and get one from a breakers. You can make you own but a bit of a faff
. There will be nothing in the boot

In view of work involved I think a visit to my local ICE shop is called for! I think a power amp (4x100W) will be enough which I can connect to the Symphony's 4 pre-outs. Sub isn't required.